January 13, 2008

A Word of Caution...

I finally finished the Twilight series and I have already mentioned the all-consuming pull those books had on me. The books were very good and I recommend them to anyone who likes to read romance/suspense stories. But I give a word of caution first: Don't pick them up if you have important things to attend to, unless you know for sure that you will remember those things and will be able to put the book down! Last night as I was sitting on the couch watching '24', I realized three things: 1) I forgot about my roommate's wedding reception on Friday night; 2) I forgot about my other roommate's birthday; and 3) I forgot about a friend's wedding shower.

I can't say for sure that my obsession with reading these books is the only reason I forgot these events, but I do know that every spare second I had in the past 1 1/2 weeks was dedicated to those books: on the train in the mornings, my morning breaks, my lunch, my afternoon breaks, on the train in the evenings and at home. During work I was constantly thinking about what was going to happen next in the story and wishing I could pick it up and read. At night I barely gave myself time to make dinner before I had the book in my hands. I was even dreaming about the characters in the story! My life for 1 1/2 weeks was entirely about those books. I honestly didn't think about anything else and I am so embarrassed to even admit it.

This is what I always saw happening in my friends when they read Harry Potter. This is why I have never read those books. I didn't want to become that person. But I did. I won't tell anyone not to read the books because I think they are worth reading. But I caution you all to read them only when you are sure you have the time to spare. And even then, try not to let them consume your life.

No comments: