January 28, 2008

My Goodbyes...

Well, the day I always expected yet always dreaded finally came. Our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley passed away last night at the age of 97. He was surrounded by his family in what I expect was a very nice and peaceful way to move on. I can only imagine the celebration that took place on the other side of the veil.

When I first heard the news I was shocked, but my heart felt at peace. I was happy to know that he could finally be reunited with his wife, Marjorie. I remember watching her funeral and it broke my heart to see him so sad. I knew he didn't want to be apart from her for long, and for that reason I am so glad that Heavenly Father finally called him home. He put in so many years of faithful service, working harder than any 97 year old man should work. He was always full of love and optimism. He taught not only by word, but by example. He truly was a man of God.

As I started watching the news last night and was reflecting on the past 13 years, I had a much harder time of holding it together than I thought I would. I turned off the TV and just lay in bed letting the tears roll down my cheeks. He was MY prophet, and I will miss him. But at the same time, I am excited to begin a new era. We must continue forward with faith and optimism. That's what President Hinckley would want.

Despite the sorrow and the saddness I feel right now, I will always remember President Hinckley's wit and humor. My favorite memories will always be of him carrying his cane, instead of using it to walk. Most recently, he used it to knight President Eyring at General Conference, October 2007, right after President Eyring was called and sustained to the First Presidency.

I love this man. I will miss him, but I rejoice in his life and in the celebration they had in Heaven last night. Goodbye, President Hinckley...until we meet again.

No comments: