January 31, 2008

A Beautiful Viewing...

I took an early lunch at work today and headed down to the Conference Center to attend President Hinckley's viewing. I was expecting long lines out in the freezing cold, but much to my surprise, there was none of that. We were ushered right into the Conference Center (after heading through security, of course). We walked through the main level of the auditorium, then down a hall, up the escalators, down another hall, up more escalators until we finally made it into the Hall of the Prophets. Only here was there a little line about 3 minutes long, which was right at the casket. People were given about 10-20 seconds to bid a final farewell before the ushers were ushering us along. I was in and out in about 20 minutes.

The feeling in the building was beyond description. There was no talking, except a few whispers of "Good Morning" from the ushers. Even the children were quiet, except for a little 3 year old that yelled out "did he die here?". It was just so reverent and peaceful that I didn't want to leave. After my friend and I got through the line, I asked her if we could just stand there for a few more minutes. But eventually, it was time to go.

As we walked out, back through the auditorium, there were three huge sprays of flowers. The first was from President Hinckley's children. We all stopped to read the notes left on the cards that were attached to the bouquet. The second was from his grandchildren, which also had cards of love and appreciation (not from each grandchild, but from each family). And the third was from his great-grandchildren. This is where the tears finally came.

He left a great legacy for this church, but he left an even greater legacy for his family. He had a lifetime of achievements, recognitions and awards, but I think his most proud achievement would be his family. I hope those children can follow the example of their great-grandfather and live such faithful and dedicated lives.

But then again, I hope we all can.

No comments: