January 16, 2008

The Joys of Mass Transit...

I'm not sure I'd consider myself "lucky" to take the train to and from work each day, but I have to admit that it sure beats dealing with rush hour traffic. Most days I get on the train, find a seat, and then either read a book or slip into a coma for 40 minutes. For the most part the commute is relaxing and stress free. But there are days when something happens that is either so funny you burst out laughing, or else it's so annoying that you wish you could hit someone in the head. Today was one of those days.

I got to my station to catch the 7:13 train and it didn't show up until 7:25. When it did show up, it was only 2 cars long instead of 3. Therefore it was standing room only. I figured that since the conductor kept saying another train would be coming in five minutes, most people still wanting to get on would wait for that train rather than shove themselves (or each other) onto my train. I was wrong.

I guess if it hadn't been 10 degrees outside, more people may have waited for the next train. But since they didn't, the rest of us just kept getting smashed closer and closer together. Aside from completely taking over someone else's personal space, the commute wasn't that bad. But I did find myself getting quite annoyed with the lady behind me who kept complaining about it.

Now, I have had some pretty bad commutes in the past and I've learned to deal with them. I realize that if I am making the choice to take mass transit, I can't always help the fact that I may end up sharing one square inch of space with a 250 pound guy. Though it's far from pleasant, I try not to complain. But I know that some people need to complain and I try to deal with that too. But this lady was so annoying that by the time I got to my stop this morning I was literally at my wits end. The one recurring thought in my head was 'that lady better hope she's not on my car the next time this happens or else my hand may accidentally find her head instead of the hand rail'.

1 comment:

Cammie said...

Don't you just love people who complain endlessly? I used to work with this lady who did it non stop. I think you may know who she is, I also think you may know how freakin' crazy it made me!