February 27, 2009

Texting...

I'm sure I have mentioned this a time or two, but now I am blogging about it so the whole world knows how I feel about texting.

1 - "Texted" is not a word. Please don't make it one! If it ever becomes a word I will 1) blame all of you and then 2) probably accept the fact that it is a word and start to use it. Until then, I will continue to hate it.

2 - Text language is not the English language. I understand that it's easier to abbreviate words in order to fit everything in the allotted amount of room you have on your phone. That's fine. But when you send an email, write something on Facebook, or write a paper for school, DO NOT speak in text! Y? Bcuz it makes u look dum.

If you want to send me a text message, that's okay. I'll send one back to you. Just know that I am sometimes slow and it might have something to do with the fact that I still insist on spelling everything out like an educated person.

3 - I admit, I sometimes like the convenience of sending a quick text rather than calling a person. But seriously, if the text conversation is going to take more than four text messages from you, please call me! It's faster and much cheaper for me. I do not have a texting plan so if the conversation goes over four messages, I will send you the bill.

Now, for those of you who have no idea what I just said, let me simplify:

Txted is not a wrd dont speak txt when emailing ppl & call if conv is longr than 4 msgs

Got it?

K, Im dun. Now u can go txt ur ppl.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Camille, I'm Jo's sister Laura. I hope you don't mind me taking a look at your blog and commenting but I felt the need to after reading this post.

I absolutely agree with everything you've said. I hate text speak and can't believe the laziness of people who have started to use it in everyday life. I truly believe some people have actually forgotten how to write in proper English. I on the other hand struggle to understand text speak (I'm probably just not very cool)!

Anyway, it was good to hear I'm not alone. :)

Anonymous said...

Neither of you are alone because I too hate text speak. I also don't understand where the use of "texted" has come from!!! It doesn't even sound like a real word yet it's used on a daily basis!

To make things worse I'm left feeling like an idiot when people send me messages in text speak because I can't understand it! It took me ages to work out gr8 meant great! Just write great!!! It's not a long word!

Good for you Camille :o)

Pen said...

Okay now you have almost the whole family concuring here.
I get almost no texts, and therefore send about the same.

I found an old friend a couple of years ago and she insisted on texting because "email is not my thing". I tried to explain text is not mine but I would compromise.
She wouldnt, and after searching for her for 8 years, we called it a day. How very sad (and stupid).

Texting is a strange way of communicating and in this country a man has just been jailed for it.

He was texting 2 miles before he hit a car already involved in an accident. The driver of the hit car went back to his car to get his mobile.....the "texting" guy, who had ceased texting by then hit him and the fella died.

Mr text is being jailed for3 months or so for texting on a motorway. He is a politician...

I hope some of that made sense.

Dont people just talk to each other any more....Its a lot nicer.

Ap said...

OMG i thot 4 sr U luvd txt msg. UR always CAAC when sum1 txt U. not to COS but txt more than 4x is CWOT asamof it BTHOOM Y ppl don't just spell everything out.
So yeah I had to look up all those text acronyms because I'm with you on text messaging and the acronyms.

Pen said...

I ight have to put that into Babblefish.

Jess said...

This post made me so so happy - I totally agree text speak is incredibly annoying. Thanks for making me laugh.

Cambu said...

April, I have NO idea what you just said and I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out! ;) I can't believe you took the time to look all that up! Hilarious!

Ap said...

I have to admit I can't remember what it all means either. Most of it but not all.