Last Sunday I was walking down the hall at church when a young man in my ward stopped to look at a bulletin board. He saw me, said hello and we proceeded to walk together to our next class. Granted it was only about 10 steps away, but we did strike up a conversation and were in the middle of it when we entered the classroom. The instant we walked into the room some girl ran up to us and speaking directly to the guy, said "There's a table up front with name tags so please go put one on". Since her motives were completely transparent, I just stood there and tried to hide my laughter when he replied "Okay, I will". I guess that wasn't good enough for her and she continued to insist, "Yes, please. We'd love everyone to wear a nametag".
"Does she even see me?" I wondered. I continued to stand there as if I were completely invisible as she continued her blatant attempt to get his attention. Finally I could no longer resist, so I said, "No thanks".
Holy cow! Had I known that she was going to sear every piece of hair off my head and face with her glare, maybe I would have reconsidered my actions. But I quietly stood there while she turned back to the guy and said "You'll put on a nametag, won't you?" Oh my gosh! Did he not already say that he would put on a nametag? Yet once again the guy had to tell her that he would put on a nametag when he got to the table.
Obviously she didn't care if I decided to put a name tag on or not, nor did she care whether or not she was completely interrupting another conversation. It was apparent that she wasn't really there to talk about nametags and it was even more apparent that I was in her way. I just love the girls in a single's ward. They always feel like they have to compete with you for someone else's attention. Since I refuse to play that game, I eventually just walked away.
I'm sure she felt victorious. Kudos to her.
10 years ago
5 comments:
gotta love the singles ward... but then, there's a reason girls like that are still in the singles ward - not-so-quiet desperation isn't exactly attractive...
Maybe he should've just told her his name for crying out loud, and avoided the whole NAMETAG thing all together! I would NEVER survive in a singles ward, you are a strong woman!
If he's s smart man (and for now, I'll assume he is), he'll RUN THE OTHER DIRECTION from that gal! And perhaps he'll bump into you in the process! :)
Some girls can not take a hint! How rude of her to interrupt your conversation with her banal talk about name tags! It sounds to me like he was more than happy to remain talking to you!
I wish I could have taken a picture of that glare! You could have posted it on your wall of successes! :)
Post a Comment