Okay, I admit it, I watched part of the inauguration today. Not much of it since I am at work, but I watched Obama's swearing in and listened to his speech. It wasn't bad. Actually, it was quite good. I guess I'll wait and see what he can do to help this country before I decide whether I should hate him or not.
But there is one thing that has been bothering me ever since I watched the inauguration. There were a lot of people in attendance. Millions, to be exact. But in the 20-25 minutes that I watched, I only saw about five white people. I know there had to be more white people than that, but where were they? Why was every close up shot of someone in the audience always of a black person?
I'm not trying to be prejudiced or judgmental. This is a very historic and significant day for America. Though I didn't vote for Obama, I still feel a sense of pride over the fact that we have finally elected an African American to be President. It's a great moment in history and I think every American, no matter their race (or beliefs), should feel proud to be part of this historic day.
So to the media I would just like to say:
Allow everyone to celebrate this day. Don't just show black people on TV. Don't just interview black people about why this is such a significant and historical day. Don't just take pictures of black people to post on your websites. Don't turn this day into Black America day!
This day doesn't belong to African Americans. This day belongs to Americans. Period.
10 years ago
7 comments:
Amen!
I am like you - he wasn't my candidate, but he is my President and I am excited for the historical significance of this day and this era.
Amen :)
I am hoping Obama is successful but the media's unabashed love-fest going on right now for all things Obama make me a little nauseated!
That didn't go unnoticed over here too! It would have been interesting to hear EVERYONE's views! The UK news crews were exactly the same. Their news coverage was based solely on the views of African Americans. Not one white person was spoken to! Full credit to you for speaking out about it!
thanks for saying what I wanted to....
Amen Sistah! :)
Post a Comment