I had a great weekend listening to General Conference. I don't know how many of you watched/listened to it, but I thought that it was very uplifting and I think I even enjoyed it more than previous conferences. I have several favorite quotes from Conference, but today I just wanted to leave you with one of my favorites from Elder Oaks.
Elder Oaks:
“How we dress is an important indicator of our attitude and preparation for any activity in which we will engage. If we are going swimming or hiking or playing on the beach, our clothing, including our footwear, will indicate this. The same should be true for how we dress when we are to participate in the ordinance of the sacrament. It is like going to the Temple. Our manner of dress indicates the degree to which we understand and honor the ordinance in which we will participate.
During sacrament meeting, and especially during the sacrament service, we should concentrate on worship and refrain from all other activities. Especially from behavior that could interfere with the worship of others. Even a person who slips into quiet slumber does not interfere with others.
Sacrament meeting is not a time for reading books or magazines. Young people, it is not a time for whispered conversations on cell phones or for texting persons at other locations. When we partake of the sacrament we make a sacred covenant that we will always remember the Savior. How sad to see persons obviously violating that covenant in the very meeting where they are making it" (emphasis added).
This entire talk was amazing and I strongly recommend we all read it over and over again just to keep it fresh in our minds. But I just want to say: Does this actually mean that I no longer have to deal with people texting during sacrament meeting or showing up in flip-flops and keds? I can only hope that all those who are "violating that covenant" were watching conference, and most especially were listening to this talk. And not only that but I really hope they took it to heart.
But as one who continues to wear nylons and sunday shoes all-year round (and not just in the winter), I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who feels strongly about this issue. Now I have an Apostle (and probably all 15 of them) in agreement with me. And if I am in agreement with them, then that means I am in agreement with the Lord. And that makes me feel like less of an "oddball" for not conforming to the latest "trend".
Anyway, there are so many other talks that I loved and wish I had time to share right now. Perhaps over the next week or two I will randomly choose some of my favorites and list them as "quotes of the week" or something to that effect. In the meantime, if any of you have favorite moments, talks, etc. please share! I'd love to learn from you!
10 years ago
3 comments:
I loved all the talks....I have to choose one of the conf talks to base off of for my own talk in less than 2 weeks. I'm taking suggestions... I can't decide,too many great talks!
They were all excellent talks! I can give you suggestions but I'm not sure how inspired they would be. ;) Let me know what you decide to do!
perhaps less people watched the Sat sessions? hope not, I to thought it was a good talk, but I didn't want to be the one sharing it in my ward! I did choose another good one though :)
Post a Comment