April 10, 2009

Simple Blessings...

I had a very interesting experience this week. I had made an appointment to have my hair done on Tuesday. The girl that I go to lives in Ogden and so every 2-3 months I make the drive up that way to get my cut and color. I know it's a long way to drive, but I started going to her when I lived in Logan and at the time it was convenient to stop in Ogden on my way home to Salt Lake. And once you find a stylist that you like, it's hard to want to go to someone else. So, I've continued to go.

Anyway, I drove up there Tuesday after work for my appointment and it turns out that she wasn't there. The salon was all locked up. I called her, she didn't answer, so I left her a message. Then I waited for half an hour. She still never showed, so I decided to just head back home. I can't say I was overly happy that I drove an hour for no reason but at the same time, I never really felt upset either. Sometimes these things happen. It's just how life goes.

She called me that night apologizing profusely for spacing the appointment. She has never done this before...ever! She felt so terrible, in fact, that she offered to cut my hair free of charge. So I made another appointment for last night and once again, made the trek to Ogden. She was actually there this time and we had a nice long hour and a half chat while she highlighted and then trimmed up my hair, telling me over and over again how sorry she was and she couldn't believe that of all the people to do this to it was the one who drove the hour to get there!

When she finished, it came time to pay. This was the first time I had been to her "new" salon and she hadn't mentioned to me that it's so ancient they don't use credit card machines there. Seeing as I had just come from work I didn't have my checkbook with me either. I asked her how much I owed and she gave me the amount for the color (remember the cut was free this time). Well, miracle of all miracles, I just so happened to have that EXACT amount of cash in my wallet.

You see, had my stylist shown up on Tuesday as planned, I wouldn't have been able to pay her the full amount since she can't take a credit card. I believe that the fact that she spaced the appt. and then offered to discount the cost to the exact amount I had with me was a major blessing from heaven.

Also, I seldom, if ever, carry cash on me. A couple weeks ago as I was on my way to go shooting with my friends, I had a feeling that I should stop at the ATM and withdraw some cash. I had no idea why because I knew I wouldn't need it to go shooting. I almost opted not to stop because I was already running late. But I stopped anyway, telling myself I'd get it "just in case". Turns out, there was a reason afterall.

It may not seem like a big deal to most of you, but I will forever count it among one of the many blessings Heavenly Father has given me. And it just goes to show that what may sometimes seem like an inconvenience may really turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Lesson learned: Never doubt the hand of God in every aspect of your life, whether great or small.

No comments: