
I was brave last night. I went to Mikado's with some friends and ordered a salad while everyone else ordered sushi. I was the reason we went in the first place. I'd never had sushi before and my friend Tandy really wanted me to try it. For her, I'll do just about anything once.
I couldn't justify spending money on my own order of sushi just in case I absolutely hated it. Hence the reason I bought a salad. But Tandy and Jason both had me try their sushi. Here's what went down:
Try #1:
ME: "I just want to eat half of it"
Tandy: "You can't. It's best if you just pop the entire thing in your mouth"
ME: "I can't do this"
Tandy: "Yes you can"
ME: "Okay fine"
{sushi goes in my mouth. I chew. I gag. I turn my head so the others can't see me. I chew again}
ME: "I cannot eat this"
Tandy: "You have to swallow it"
{I grab my water and start gulping. The sushi slides down my throat. I'm done.}
Try #2: Jason had me try some of his salmon crunch.
{I pop it in my mouth. I chew. I don't gag}.
ME: "This one is actually pretty good!" {probably because it was cooked}.
Try #3:
{I pop it in my mouth. I chew. I gag. Harder this time. I grab my water. Gulp it down.}
Me: "Sorry guys. I'm crying"
I really was.
So, the point of this story is that I went and I tried. And I not only tried once, but I tried THREE times. I'm very proud of myself. But I don't think I'll ever eat sushi again.
4 comments:
Bahahaha. I am SO proud of you for trying this!!! Last year was my year of firsts and I truly believe that we will never learn about ourselves if we do not push our limits and in this case try things we secretly want to try. :) How will we EVER know if we truly love or hate anything in life if we give up before we actually give it an honest go. You, my friend, gave it a go. Proud of you! :)
Oh, that's too bad. We can't get enough sushi at our house. But... it's really great that you tried it not once but three times. Way to go!
I'm with you I even tried a sushi with no fish in it and I still hated it. Unfortunantly I was at a business lunch with a vendor so I couldn't let them know exactly how much I hated it.
Great job! I am so proud of you, you are really expanding your horizions!! I've tried to like sushi...I really have, but I just can't do it.
Post a Comment