September 22, 2008

An American Songbook Concert...

I had the privilege of going to my sister's concert last Friday night. Most of you probably already know that she is in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They had a concert at the LDS Conference Center on Friday and Saturday evenings. I went Friday with my mom, brother and sister-in-law. Honestly, there really are no words to describe that concert. The choir's performance was spectacular. Their performance of Come, Come Ye Saints was so powerful and stirring that it brought me to tears.

There were also two guest performers as well; Denyce Graves and Brian Stokes Mitchell. Though Denyce Graves is a great singer, I completely fell in love with Brian Stokes Mitchell's voice. His music really touched my soul. I was unable to find a version of my favorite song he sang, but here is a version of him singing The Impossible Dream which he also sang at the concert. It is not really a video, just the song. The performance was so phenomenal that the crowd literally jumped to their feet!*



This concert was so good, in fact, that I went again on Saturday night! I really wish I could describe it for you, but any words I choose would be so inadequate. It was probably the most amazing concert I have ever been to. And it was a great honor to be in the presence of President Thomas S. Monson at both performances as well.

Other poignant moments from the concert include:

1 - The moment President Monson walked into the room and the entire room stood. There was a couple sitting behind me who were visiting from Ohio and had no idea what was going on. But they stood with the rest of us and quietly watched as the prophet of God entered. I have no idea what they were thinking, but I could tell they were touched by the feeling that was there.

2 -To the audience on Friday night, Stokes described his feelings of performing for us (with the choir) as being like "heaven on a stick" and on Saturday night like "singing on a cloud". However he tried to describe it, it was clear to him and everyone else either performing or attending, that this was more than just a concert. This was something special. According to my sister, both he and Denyce Graves were more than touched by their experiences here. Stokes said that in all his travels all over the world he has never received a warmer welcome or more genuine kindness as he did here. And Denyce Graves was crying by the time it was all over.


*President Monson was the very first one on his feet after Saturday nights performance of The Impossible Dream. He nearly bolted from his chair before the last note was even played. And then Brian Stokes Mitchell acknowledged him on stage with a stroke of his hand. Listen to the words of that song while keeping President Monson in your mind. Perhaps you will then begin to understand the feeling I felt when the song ended and President Monson jumped to his feet. It's the closest glimpse I can give you into what it was like.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I also went to this concert on Saturday night and was blown away. It was an amazing preformance by all but I also fell in love with Brian Stokes Mitchell's voice. He was absolutely wonderful. I wish I would have gone Friday instead so that I can go again on Saturday.

browneyedgirl said...

What an amazing weekend you had!