Well, I got to work today and started in on my "work" when a few minutes later the fire alarm went off. Knowing I'd probably be sitting outside for quite awhile while we waited for the fire dept. to show up and do a sweep of the building, I decided to grab Breaking Dawn and haul it outside with me. I was so close to being done that I thought it would be a great opportunity to finally finish it. And it was.
So here is my verdict on the book. It was decent. Despite struggling through the first 200 pages, the story eventually began to pick up, the romance subsided (I can't stand all the gooshy romance crap) and I was able to read it with a little more enjoyment. But it wasn't like the other books in that I found myself more than willing to set this one down and do other things. I could have finished the book last night had I wanted to, but by 8:30pm I was bored of reading it so I tossed it aside and moved on to other stuff.
I think part of my problem was that the book held no surprises for me. I figured everything out before it happened. It all just seemed too predictable and because of that, I felt bored. It just didn't seem to have the same excitement that the other books had; the kind of suspense and intrigue that has one sitting on the edge of their seat or feeling the urge to flip a few pages ahead to make sure nobody died. That was the biggest disappointment for me.
I would go into more specifics of what I did and did not like, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. I'll just say that overall, it was a decent finish. I did think everything tied up nicely at the end. But if I had to pick a favorite book of the series, this one would not be it.
10 years ago
4 comments:
Oh geez! I'm on strike from these books too, just like Harry Potter.
Cammie, I admire your strength in withstanding peer pressure. I am still on strike from Harry Potter too (and pretty much anything on the Oprah book club list). Unfortunately, I gave in to Twilight so now I'm looking to you to stay strong!
I read the first three books and thought they were horrible. Ok, Twilight was ok, but the other two I have major moral issues with. Anyway, I refuse to read this one. I've heard from a couple people that this one is very disappointing.
Hey! Thanks for taking a look at my blog! I don't mind at all, the more the merrier! I STILL haven't got to the end of 'Breaking Dawn' yet. I have another 200 pages to go!!! I've got in to it a bit more now so I should be through it in no time.
I completely envy you for living in Utah. Do you mind if I ask whereabouts you are? I visited all over the state (a couple of times) and just fell in love with it. It's so beautiful! I have quite a few friends over your way so I hope to get back there one day soon. I think the thing I love most about it is that it's so completely different to England. We have some beautiful parts of the country but they are nothing like the gorgeous mountains and parks you have over there.
I was just reading your blog about the Atari - wow that takes me back!!!
Post a Comment