I borrowed this book from my mom last weekend and on Friday night, having nothing better to do, I decided to start reading it. I read and I read. Pretty soon, I realized that I couldn't put the book down. I eventually did go to bed, but the minute I woke up Saturday morning I picked it back up. Aside from a brief jaunt to the grocery store and checking out a few Olympic updates on TV, I read all day. I finished it around 8:00pm.I had never heard of this book, but the premise of the book intrigued me when I saw it at my mom's. It's about a young politician who works as a senior aide to a US Senator. The two of them draft a proposal for a new ammendment to the US constitution that would basically take away the entire checks and balances system. The ammendment is passed in both the House and the Senate and now just needs to be ratified by 3/4 of the States.
The story takes a turn when Nathaniel Gorham, an original founding father of the Constitution, appears to Bryce Sherwood (the young aide to the US Senator). He tries to explain what this new ammendment will do to the Constitution he and so many others literally gave their lives for. Young Sherwood refuses to change his position on the issue and therefore, he is transported to another time where the Constiution of the United States of America was never ratified.
The story really opened my eyes to the importance of the Constitution and just how blessed we really are in America to have the freedoms we have. I take so much for granted. This book helped me to better understand how much the founding fathers really gave for the cause of freedom and liberty. They were murdered, their homes were burned to the ground, they had to go into hiding and live in caves while their families were taken from them. All because they believed in what they were doing and because they believed in the United States of America.
I am so blessed to live in this great country, a land where so many fought and died to give me a better way of life. I don't take enough time to appreciate what they did for me, and what they gave me. The Constitution is probably the greatest document to have ever been written and this country will fall apart if it is ever changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment