August 12, 2008

He Did It!


If you didn't watch Aaron Peirsol swim his 100 meter backstroke last night, shame on you! He blew past everyone and set a new world record all the while making it look like he was taking a leisurely stroll in the pool.

Michael Phelps did a great job last night as well, and also won another gold medal. I already mentioned how I love to watch Michael swim. But Michael gets way too much attention (understandably so) and I tend to get a little turned off by that because I know there are other swimmers out there who deserve the same kind of recognition*. Aaron swam an amazing race. This was the first of three races he'll be swimming in during these Olympics. I thought he deserved to be acknowledged by the media just as much as Michael Phelps. But did that happen? Not so much. They showed Michael's 3rd gold medal ceremony (and I'm sure they'll show all his others too) and they showed nothing on Aaron Peirsol. I waited up til midnight to see it, and nothing. Then they announced they'd show it in late night coverage so I recorded it to watch it this morning...and nothing.

I mean, come on! We've all seen Michael Phelps on the medal stand nine times now (counting Athens). I've only seen Aaron Peirsol on the medal stand once (and counting Athens he has now won four gold medals). I understand that Michael is the most decorated Olympian in history and I applaude him and all his hard work. He deserves each and every medal he gets. But I just wish we wouldn't get so hyped up on his success that we over look the success of others.

I like Aaron. I like him more than Michael Phelps and perhaps this is why I feel so bothered by it all. But Aaron has two more swims (one individual and one relay) and I am really hoping they show his medal ceremonies the next time he wins**.

*Oh, and a big shout out to all the other US swimmers who won medals last night as well (and didn't get much recognition): Natalie Coughlin - gold; Matt Grevers - silver; Margaret Holzer - bronze; Rebecca Soni - silver. So all within 30 minutes, the US team picked up six medals, three of which were gold.

**My hope is that Aaron will win gold in his other two events, but watch out for Ryan Lochte in the 200 meter backstroke. He and Aaron are neck-for-neck in this race and it really could go either way. But no matter who comes out on top, it will still most likely be gold and silver for the US.

1 comment:

browneyedgirl said...

Shame on me? Well, I recorded it...and will watch it tonight (it was being broadcasted at 10 pm) and well I needed a little beauty sleep these days, but I will watch it! :)