Last night my family was reminicing about our growing up years, such as how I used to always be the "garbage girl" when we'd have the treat basket at grandma B's house. This was my claim, but my younger sister quickly disagreed with me, letting me know she had been the "garbage girl" since the day she learned to scoot. But either way, according to my dad, that's what kids are for! So now we make our neices and nephews be the "garbage girls/boys" when they have the treat basket at our house. It's only fair.
But that story has nothing to do with the point of this blog post. Back to reminicing about our growing up years.
We were talking about baking and how everyone in our family had a "specialty" that they made growing up. One sister always made the chocolate chip cookies. Another always made the orange julius. I always made the banana bread. And on and on it went. Apparently, according to my brother, nothing has ever compared to the brownies he and our other brother made once (but which the rest of us have no recollection of). Nor does anything compare to the mint patties that my sister and I once attempted to make.
That is the story that will most likely go down in our family history as the best baking story ever. Here's how the story goes:
Several years ago, the two of us decided that we wanted to make some mint patties. They are fairly simple to make. They consist of four ingredients: butter, karo syrup, mint extract and powdered sugar. So this particular day, we got out the recipe, all the ingredients and went to work. My sister told me how much karo syrup we needed and we started pouring it into the bowl. Well, we ended up running out of karo syrup so the two of us stopped what we were doing and ran to the store. We bought a few more jars of the sticky stuff and headed back home. After adding about the 9th cup of karo syrup, my sister mentioned that it was looking rather sticky. I picked up the recipe and double checked the ingredients. We needed 1/2 cup!! My sister didn't see the {/} between the 1 and the 2 and thought we needed 12 cups!
What two geniuses don't know that there isn't a recipe in the world that calls for 12 cups of anything!?!
When our brother asked us if we threw it away, of course we said yes! But that got us all laughing once again when I asked how many pounds of powdered sugar it would have taken to fix that big of a mistake!
I'll spare you all the arithmetic, but if I figured it correctly, it would have taken 24 pounds.
I'm sure nobody would have stopped and stared at us for hauling four jars of karo syrup out of the store, but 24 pounds of powdered sugar?
I'm pretty sure we'd still be eating those mint patties today!
10 years ago
4 comments:
Haha! Growing up we would go to my grandma's every Sunday night and before we left she would always get down a basket that was full of wrapped candy. It would get passed around the room and then someone would have to go around and collect the wrappers and throw them away. That's what a "garbage girl" is.
I love it! I told the same story to some of my kids at our Cadence social tonight. :) Oh...the memories. haha. Love ya!
Yum, I love mint patties.
Baking disasters are fun! I should know, I've had MANY of them. :)
That's hilarious. I'd forgotten about that story. Oh, memories! Wish I was there to participate. Sorry we didn't wait after conference to say good-bye, but you didn't call me back, so we're even. What's ya think?
Post a Comment