October 13, 2009

A Familiar Face...

Do you ever have those moments when you see someone you recognize but don't know how you know them?

I ran to Target tonight after work just to pick up a few items and as I was wandering through the familiar isles of the store I walked past a familiar face. We glanced at each other as we passed, he not seeming to recognize me, but I recognized him...somehow. I know I've been pretty sick for the past five days and my brain continues to be in a slight fog, but I knew I knew him and it drove me crazy and I didn't know how.

I won't say I stalked the poor guy as he traversed the isles of the store because I didn't. But between my wanderings and his traversings, we happened past each other multiple times. Each time I continued to stare at him trying to figure out how I knew him. He, most likely, looking at me, wondering how many more times he'd have to walk past the psycho girl who couldn't seem to stop staring at him.

This wasn't a guy my age, mind you. He was probably in his late 40's and married. He was also walking down the isles with another woman who, hopefully, was his wife. I knew I didn't know him from work or church. In fact, I didn't feel that I even knew him well. I just knew who he was...I'd seen him somewhere before. Did I recognize him from the train? Was he in some random magazine ad, or on TV?

How in the world did I know this guy?!?! I didn't know and it was driving me crazy!

Just as I walked passed him the last time I heard the woman say something about court and all of a sudden a lightbulb went on in my head. I knew him from court!!

He was the prosecutor. I was on the jury. He won the case.

Mystery solved, and a good thing too because I was just seconds away from being turned into that scrawny pre-pubescent boy they call a security guard.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Don't you hate that? At least you figured it out. The worst is when someone comes up and talks to you and you have no clue who they are...I mean, the face is familiar, but you don't know what to say except, "Oh, yeah, how have you been?"

BTW, you have a GREAT memory! :)

Ap said...

That is too funny. I wonder what the woman with him thought of you checking him out.