Last night there wasn't much to watch on TV so I just turned on "Law & Order: SVU" as I did other things in my room. As I was listening to this TV show, I all of a sudden heard this lady crying about someone who had died and she made the comment that the girl who died "was a good mormon from Utah". Well, obviously that peeked my interest and I sat down on the edge of my bed curious to know where they were headed with that story."Did either of you ever see Jodi outside of work?"
"In Relief Society"
"Do you know anything that may have been troubling her?"
1st Friend: "Well, she has a boyfriend on a mission in Peru and she has been really missing him lately"
There was more dialogue thrown in here but I don't remember it because I was too focused on the way the girls were dressed. But I did catch this one last line:
2nd Friend: "That's the reason we're all out here. Once our boyfriend's all come home from their missions we'll go back to Utah"
See why I would think this amusing? First off, I don't think anyone in real life would ever just say "I saw her in Relief Society" when nobody else in the world would even know what it meant. But the best part was the fact that it didn't even phase the detectives. They just acted like "oh, you saw her in Relief Society, great. Next question."
I also thought it interesting at how the girls were portrayed. The two friends were kind of homely, one had acne problems, they were not wearing make-up, and were dressed in long sleeve shirts, sweaters, etc. that looked like they belonged to their older sisters from 10 years ago. And they were dressed this way even though it was a nice sunny day outside. Okay, overall they looked like average girls who weren't out trying to impress anyone. There's nothing wrong with that, but it just seemed that they were trying to make Mormons seem "odd" and maybe not quite as beautiful as other women.
The show really cracked me up. But now I better understand why the world thinks we are freaks.
3 comments:
Just this past Sunday there was a write up on Salt Lake City in the travel section of the Washington Post newspaper. They did talk about mormons in it and it wasn't totally complimenting us but they also talked a lot about Utah's "quirky" (as they called it)alcohol laws. It did have a nice skyline pic of SLC though!
That's funny you blogged about this. I saw the show too, but I saw it a little differently. I didn't think the "friends" were all that homely. I thought they were kindof cute. And they didn't say anything that was untrue about the church. Other than big families isn't as common as it used to be, but I didn't see "Mormons" as being in a bad light. Kindof free advertising. I thought it was interesting.
Interesting how we had different perspectives. I'd be curious to see what a person of another faith thought of it. :)
Post a Comment