March 26, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting...

Story 1: As mentioned in my previous blog (about Enchanted), I babysat my sister's kids last night. It was great fun. Lots of laughter ensued. We decided to play Monopoly and my 9 year old niece said she was going to be the banker. I told her I wanted to be banker. My nephew said he wanted to be banker. Great. How does one solve such a dilemma? Well, being the smart aunt that I am, I said 'You have to be able to count in order to be the banker". To which both replied "I can count!"

Me: "Oh really? What is 100 + 250?"
Nephew: "I can't count that high. I'm out."
Niece: "I can if I write it down."
Me: "Bankers don't write things down, they add in their heads".
Niece: "I can't."
Me: "Then I get to be banker."

I was feeling so proud of myself for winning the "battle to be banker", but for some reason my niece still thought she was the banker. When she handed me my allotted amount of money I realized something. This was JUNIOR Monopoly. The money only went up to $5.00 and I was pretty sure she could count that high. She got to be banker.

Story 2: While the two oldest kids were taking their showers, I was sitting with the youngest (3 yrs) and I asked her what she wanted to do. She said "Tell me something about yourself". So for the next few minutes, we talked about relations (ie: my mom is her grandma, etc). I mentioned that I don't live with grandma anymore and then she, remembering that I had just moved, asked: "Why did you move to a new place? Was there nothing to do at the old one?" I told her that I just needed a change and then I asked her why she moved to a new house (they just moved in December). She thought for a minute and then said "My mom wanted a bonus room". I said "Oh really? You moved just for the bonus room?" She thought again and then said "And a pantry. My mom really wanted a pantry." Well, I guess those are two important reasons to move.

Story 3: After the two oldest kids finished their showers, I was surprised to find both of them walking through the house only wrapped up in towels. My niece (the 9 year old) told me that she had forgotten her underwear so she was just on her way to get it. My nephew (6 yrs) just walked over and started watching what I was doing. When I asked him to go get dressed, he started to walk away. Then he said "Hey Camille?!" I turned to him and there he was shaking his little bum at me (behind the towel). He had opened up his towel and was doing a little flash dance right there in the family room! Thankfully he had his back to me so I didn't see anything at all, but the house has no blinds so I wonder how the neighbors liked the show...

1 comment:

browneyedgirl said...

How funny, I was laughing so hard. Definately reminds me of what I've seen (the kids are always comparing their underwear and are SO happy to pull down their own pants in front of you just to show you their favorite underwear). Great stories! :) The worst (when babysitting) is when the kids are all hyped up on something (probably just me being there--since typically I've been told "They've been asking ALL day when you were coming!") then it's hard to get them to calm down.