April 15, 2010

Learning the Language...

I've heard many times that English is the hardest language to learn. For those who come from other countries, I'm sure this is true. Between contractions, conjunctions, pronouns, participles and everything in between, English can be fairly complex. But if a person was born and raised on American soil (or any other soil where English is spoken) and received 12 years of public education, speaking and writing the English language should not be that difficult.

In saying that, however, I keep reading blogs, articles and comments by people who not only earned a high school education but who also went on to earn degrees of higher education as well, and yet they still can't seem to speak correctly. To them (not that they are reading my blog), I'd like to say something and then offer one piece of advice:

Saying "we was..." as in, "We was eating ice cream when they came over" is not correct. It sounds ridiculous. My advice? Stop saying it.

I could spend a few minutes and discuss the ins and outs of helping verbs, past and present tenses, personal pronouns, etc. but it's all rather complicated and I am not an English teacher. Therefore, I might suggest either googling it or going back to school.

1 comment:

Jake and Roz said...

I'm a grammar nazi, and I drive people nuts correcting them - but they drive me nuts by not being correct in the first place! I completely agree.