March 29, 2010

Dropping Hints...

Are you guys familiar with the "they have something on their face/teeth/nose but I don't want to be rude and point it out to them so I'll just brush my face/teeth/nose and hope they get the hint" routine? Well, I'm not sure what to call that, so for the purpose of this post I'm just going to refer to it as "dropping hints"

What is the point of dropping hints? I mean, I understand that we, as a society, want to be polite and not make anyone look foolish for having a piece of their lunch stuck to their face, but how many times does it actually work compared to how many times it doesn't? And how many times does someone assume a hint is being dropped when, in reality, it's not?

Let me give you a couple examples:

Example one:

Last week I had gone to dinner with a few friends of mine and after we finished eating we sat around the table talking for awhile. One of my friends kept picking at her teeth. I could tell there wasn't anything in there and couldn't figure out what she was doing. When I got home that night I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth and noticed MY teeth full of spices from the dinner we ate. So apparently my friend was dropping hints at me and I wasn't picking up on them. Couldn't she just say, "Yo! You have crap in your teeth!"? Seems easy enough to me.

Example two:

The other day I was having a conversation with a friend of mine. We were sitting there talking and my nose was itchy, so I reached up and rubbed it. A few seconds later I noticed my friend do the exact same thing; therefore, a few seconds later I rubbed my nose again, and a few seconds after that she rubbed hers. This routine went on for about 5 minutes before I finally looked at her and said,

"I'm sorry. Do I have something on my nose?"

She replied, "No. Do I?"

So here I was just trying to scratch my itchy nose and there she was thinking I was dropping hints that she had something on hers. Because she rubbed hers I therefore thought I had something on mine and the cycle just kept repeating itself.

Does this sound familiar? This happens to me all the time and it drives me crazy. Can't we just tell people there is something on their face or in their teeth? I say yes! So from now on, if I pick at my teeth, rub my nose or brush at any other part of my face, please assume I am doing just that and not trying to drop a hint that you have a giant booger dangling from your nose, or a piece of lunch either stuck to your teeth or your face. Trust me, if that were truly the case, I would tell you.

I'd also appreciate the same courtesy because apparently, I don't respond well to hints.

2 comments:

Ap said...

Hey Camille - I think you have something in your teeth.

browneyedgirl said...

:) I think people are scared to tell others, why? who knows!! I do tell people stuff like that and say in reply when they say thanks to me, "Well I would want someone to tell me".