March 24, 2010

Health Care Reform...

I have given it a couple days to try and calm my frustrations on this matter of health care reform* and you want to know what? I am still angry. I am not a political junkie. For the most part, I have never paid much attention to politics or the way this country is run. I guess I should feel extremely blessed that most of the decisions that have been made up until now have never really affected me personally. But after this health care reform bill was passed it finally hit me that those days are over and it's high time I start to pay attention.

Am I the only one who is scared about the future of this country? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong to worry about my future. If I were to lose my job in a couple years time and therefore lose the health insurance that goes with it, I couldn't say if I'd be able to afford a private insurance plan. And yet I'd be penalized for that. I would get fined an undisclosed amount of money, which I probably wouldn't be able to afford either, all because the federal government says it's a "requirement" and no longer a "choice" to have insurance. Maybe I'm wrong to worry about any of that.

But I do have a question that I am hoping some of you can answer for me. When did this nation's values and principles change from "you have the freedom to choose" to "you are required forced to do what we say and if you don't do what we say, we'll fine you"?

I feel like I live in China...or some other communist country. What on earth just happened to my FREEDOM?

This is what makes me angry. America is supposed to be run by the people and our leaders refuse to listen to us. This country will not survive if our basic human rights continue to be taken away. I don't think I can continue to sit here and watch that happen. I don't think I can continue to be a simple bystander and watch the country I love fall to her death by the hands of our own leaders.

Well, now that I have that off my chest, I think I might go email the President and tell him how I feel. The secret service may throw me in prison so be sure to come visit me often...and don't forget to stash a paperclip and piece of gum in the bundt cake.

What? It worked for MacGyver!

*I should make it clear that I don't necessarily disagree with having some type of health care reform (at the state level, not federal). I do disagree with the way the federal government is pushing it on us and forcing us to have it.

3 comments:

Jo said...

This is big news over here! I am trying to find out a bit more about what the reform will mean to you guys. I am frustrated that I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

It appears as though you will have a healthcare system more akin to ours in the UK. I'm not positive about that, and need to read some more, but it would be disastrous if it goes that way. Our healthcare is (in my opinion) awful, and gets worse every year.

I'm hearing a lot about this from my American friends, so I'm going to better educate myself so that I can join in the debate.

Cambu said...

Hi Jo! How interesting that you are my only comment and you're not even an American citizen who would be affected by this! Either my friends don't take issue with it or else they're just afraid to speak up. Oh what am I saying...I have no friends. :)

I think a lot of people (including myself) are still confused as to what this bill actually means for our country. I haven't had a chance to learn all I want to learn yet either - apparently the actual bill is 2300 pages long and uses a bunch of technical terms that no average person could possibly understand - but from what I do know, I am not excited about it at all.

I'm not familiar with your healthcare system, so I'm not sure if ours would be similar in nature or not.

I still find myself fuming over the fact that they are forcing us to do this, but I'm trying to just take it one day at a time and see what happens. There's always hope for the future, right? :)

browneyedgirl said...

AMEN!!! Why can't the public vote on it? Not fair!!! It's very scary