July 7, 2009

Thoughts on MJ...

I don't get it. I would like to know why the media, and society at large, is worshipping Michael Jackson as if he were a God.

A public funeral broadcast on live TV? Seriously? Last time we did that for anyone it for was a President of the United States who actually deserved it. I don't remember one time in the history of my life where a celebrity/pop star was ever given a public funeral on live TV.

What about all the other celebrities who lived much more respectable lives, who put others before themselves, who didn't rack up 400 million dollars in debt and spend years on trial for molesting little boys? What about them? Why don't we honor them and pay respect to any of them? Why don't we honor those who lived their lives out of the public spotlight and died in much more tragic ways (such as Farrah Fawcett and Natasha Richardson)?

I'm not saying Michael Jackson was a horrible person and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a funeral where people can pay respect to him if they so choose. But I am appalled by the fact that we have to make such a big to-do about this when he didn't even lead that amazing of a life. He simply was who he was...a strange and creepy man.

So I just wonder why he deserves this kind of attention. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Jake and Roz said...

I've been trying to figure it out all day... what a waste of taxpayer money!

Anonymous said...

As you know from my blog I completely agree with you.

Half the problem seems to be that the world has become obsessed with grieving. People will mourn and overly express their emotions about pretty much anything these days. The other half of the problem is that the media feed this morbid need. I find it all a bit sick really.

Over here the trend to 'grieve as a nation' began when Princess Diana died. The whole thing got completely out of hand.

Apparently people don't like to mourn privately these days. Instead they like the clutter the streets with bouquets of flowers.

Wow, didn't realise I had so much to say on the subject - LOL!