California Supreme Court upholds ban on new same-sex marriages, but lets existing marriages stand.I don't even know if I can describe my reaction to that. I read the email, my hands shot up to my mouth and I said "Oh my gosh!" And then I just sat there and stared at it, with my hands still to my mouth, for a good two minutes.
I have to admit, I really had no faith in the California Supreme Court. When I heard that the court was going to hear the Prop 8 lawsuits I honestly thought that the voice of the people was going to be squashed. I mean, this was the same court who just last year legalized same-sex marriage. I had no reason to believe they would now side with the people. Boy was I wrong!
Though I do have friends in the gay community who will be hurt and angered by this, and though my heart goes out to them, I am glad that the court upheld the ban by saying that "the people have a right, through the ballot box, to change their consitution". Amen to that.
This is huge. It's huge because it was California, one of the most liberal states in the country. And this decision just goes to show that the voice of the people can overturn the court...and an extremely liberal one at that.
But even though today was a huge victory, this battle is far from over.
To be continued...
3 comments:
it's about time someone upheld the decision of the voters. Doesn't matter the issue, just that the people aren't being told that they don't know what is actually best for them...
Power to the people!!
I never watch the news, but it just happened to be on last night so I could witness their decision. It was nice to hear they're accepting the voting as what the people do want.
And I learned later during same news program that in some states you're NOT allowed to smile on your driver's license. It made more sense when I finally heard the reasoning, glad I don't live there though!
Post a Comment