May 8, 2009

The Truth About Lines...

Today was commencement day at the University of Utah. This meant that my co-workers and I had to be to work well before our usual hour of 8am to help line students up for their big "walk". It blows my mind at how students don't seem to understand what a line is. We ask them to stand in line and they crowd around in groups.

This is a process we go through every year on commencement day and because of all our hard work in trying to make it run smoothly, it has become a yearly tradition for our boss to buy us lunch! And every year we get pizza delivered fresh from the Pie Pizzeria. It is unbelievably good and since the only time I generally eat it is every year on commencement day, I was looking forward to it.

At noon we received the much anticipated email "The pizza has arrived!" and so I immediately rushed up the stairs to get some before everyone else started digging their dirty hands through it. Much to my dismay, there was already a line forming out the break room and down the hall (the disadvantage to working in the basement instead of the actual office everyone else is in). I stood there thinking to myself "I don't want to wait in this line!" and then I noticed something...

Everyone was waiting in line behind one guy who was dishing up his slice of pizza, but there were three other kinds of pizza there that nobody was touching! So, I walked into the room, grabbed a plate, and said something to the effect of "I'm assuming you are all waiting for the same pizza so I'm just going to get a slice of this kind". I grabbed my pizza and walked back out past the 20 people who had been patiently waiting in line.

Just call me a student. I don't like lines either.

No comments: