About a month ago I was walking around Wheeler Farm with a friend of mine and we were discussing the concept of gardening. He mentioned that he has a huge space in his backyard for a garden. I suggested he plant it. He said no. His reasoning was that the garden is just too much for one person (I guess he never figured on sharing with his two roommates). I said that he could always share his garden with me...I'd be happy to eat the veggies anytime. He then suggested that I just use the space for my own garden. My response: "Yeah right! I don't want to do the work, I just want to eat it!" Isn't that the way life is? We never seem to want to work for anything. Why plant a garden when we can just drive the two minutes to the store to buy everything we need? Gardening is a huge committment and takes time and effort to see it through. I've never really been committed to anything in my life. Even my quilt projects take years to finish. I always seem to have good intentions about starting something but then I get bored, lazy or just too busy and I quit. It's kind of hard to quit on a garden, unless I want a dead one. So when my friend offered to let me plant one in his yard, I kind of brushed it off as being too much work.
My parent's had a garden growing up and I always dreaded those hot summer mornings when I'd have to go out and weed, water and pick it. I hated it. And each time I was out there slaving away I always thought to myself, "I am never going to have a garden!" So imagine my surprise the other day when I thought to myself, "I really want to plant a garden!" Crazy, I know.
So last night as I was talking to my friend I said to him, "Do you remember that conversation we had awhile back where you said I could plant a garden in your backyard and you'd take care of it for me?"
"That's not what I said!" was his reply.
I was kind of hoping he wouldn't have even remembered the conversation.
"Well, do you still want to plant one?"
"I never wanted to plant one. But I will let you plant one"
"I can't plant it by myself!"
"Well, I don't want to plant one."
"Okay, if I plant it will you at least water it so I don't have to go to your house everyday?"
"Yes, I can water it. But you have to weed it and pick it."
"Great! I can do that once or twice a week...no problem"
Ta-dah! I'm planting a garden! My friend said he would till the ground for me and I recruited two of my girlfriends to help me plant it next week. I'm kind of excited about it, but pretty freaked out as well. I'm worried that I will kill it. So if any of you have ever planted and taken care of a garden before then feel free to help me out!
Happy Planting!
3 comments:
If you want fresh veggies without the bother why don't you go for grow bags! It would appear they are very little work, and normally produce decent sized crops. You can't grow everything in them, but you can grow all your basics like green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, etc...
I'm considering doing it as you need very little space, and I HATE gardening! Look them up and see what you think.
Send me some tomatoes!
Hey can I get in on those tomatoes??? I'll get you some really good fertilizer as a bribe;)
Post a Comment