July 1, 2008

Conversing with the President...

I am not, of course, referring to the President of the United States. Nor am I referring to the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Who, then, am I referring to? I am referring to President Walter J. Plumb III, my darling Stake President (who used to be my Bishop).


This man is a Saint. He is firm in his testimony of the Gospel and in his love for the Savior. He is a man of compassion and strength. A man of wisdom and understanding. But if he were to have one flaw, it would probably be that he's rather flaky. Half the time what he says doesn't make any sense. Simply because he has so many thoughts and can't quite seem to express them coherently. But this just makes it more fun to have a conversation with him because you have no idea where it will go, nor do you know just what he might agree to. Case in point:

Last night my ward had FHE at President Plumb's house. For those who have never been there, it's a multi-million dollar house at the TOP of a mountain! I am not kidding. He is steps away from the Neff's Canyon trailhead. So our ward decided to use this fine venue and we had a great night of hiking, swimming and BBQ-ing.*

While I was sitting with a few friends eating our delicious hotdogs and hamburgers, President Plumb walked up to us four girls and said:

"I love pool parties where all the girls get dragged in" (meaning, the girls literally get dragged into the pool).

Me: Oh really?
PP: Yes, those are the best pool parties
Me: Do you know what kind of pool parties I like?
PP: What kind?
Me: The kind where you get dragged in.
PP: Oh. Um. Let's just forget about that first part.

About 10 minutes later, President Plumb walks back over to me.

PP: Camille, what would make you happy?
Me: What would make me happy?
PP: Yes, what would make you happy?
Me: Well, you paying for me to go on a trip to Australia with a friend. That would make me very happy.
PP: It would?
Me: Yes, it would.
PP: Who is this someone you want to go with?
Me: I don't have anyone in mind yet.

{President Plumb walks me over to the nearest guy}

PP to the guy: If I paid for you, would you go to Australia with these two ladies? (My roommate was with me)
Guy: YES!
PP: Okay, done. Camille, book the trip. It's on me.

{A few minutes pass}

Me: President Plumb, would it be okay if we invited someone else? I don't think (guy) would want to be the only guy. He might need a friend."

{President Plumb walks me over to guy #2}

PP to Guy #2: Do you want to go to Australia with these two ladies and that other guy?
Guy #2: Are you serious?
PP: Yes.
Guy #2: Heck ya, I'll go!

{A few more minutes pass}

Me: President Plumb, are you sure this is okay? Now we are up to four people and airfare alone is about $2,000 a person.
PP: It is?
ME: Yes, it is.
PP: To Australia?
Me: Yes
PP: Wait. I thought you meant Australia, California!
Me: Yeah, not what I meant. We are talking about the country.
PP: Yeah, it's fine. Go ahead and book it, but I might have to come.
Me: That's great. You are sure this is okay?
PP: Yes, I am expecting to have a good month.

By the time the night was over, there were six of us, plus President Plumb and the Bishop who all said they'd go to Australia. Paid for, by President Plumb.

Though it would be a blast, I don't think I can really take him up on the offer. Then again, if I were to ask him about it again in a few weeks, he will claim to have no recollection of the conversation ever taking place anyway. That's why when you make an agreement with him, you always ask for it in writing.

I LOVE President Plumb!


* More pictures from the night of summer fun soon to come!

2 comments:

Ap said...

Gotta love Pres. Plumb!!!

browneyedgirl said...

FYI--If you ever do decide to go (pre-paid or not) to Australia count me in!