From birth my parents have instilled a great sense of patriotism in the hearts of their children. We were each taught that America was raised up to be a great nation: a nation whose citizens would have claim to the basic rights and freedoms afforded to all by the hand of their creator. A nation that, no matter the cost, would rise up and defend those freedoms, not only for her own citizens but for the citizens of all nations as well.
Why? Well, according to the Declaration of Independence, it's because "we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".
That is what our founding fathers fought and died for. But sadly, America today is not that same America. America is now a nation that stands divided instead of united; it is now a nation whose own citizens would rather fight against her than for her; it is now a nation whose own citizens (and president) feel the need to apologize for being one of the greatest nations this world has ever seen; and it is now a nation that is hated instead of respected by many around the world.
This is not the America I love.
The America I love is a nation whose citizens rise up in the face of adversity and unite for the common good of the country; the America I love is a nation that will continue to fight for the basic rights and freedoms of all men, regardless of the country to which they belong; the America I love is a nation that, despite the pessimism of her own citizens, will continue to shine forth as a beacon of hope to the rest of the world; and the America I love is a nation that will continue to offer and provide assistance to those in need without ever asking for anything in return.
This is the America I love.
I am so grateful to be an American. The love I feel for this country runs so deep inside of me that it is impossible to describe in words. I have always believed, and will continue to believe, that America is a great nation and that she will always be capable of great things. It's my hope and prayer that God will continue to bless America.
Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Americans!
PS - If you look closely you can see my sister on the far left side of the front row. :)
10 years ago
2 comments:
That is lovely Camille. I only wish I felt that same passion and pride towards England.
For obvious reasons we don't celebrate 4th July where I am :o) But I wish you, your family and all your blog readers a very happy day. I hope you do something fun!
I love this Camille! It's beautiful. And I 100% wholeheartedly agree with you. I wish our current situation were different, but America will stand strong and come through. She always does! :)
Post a Comment