July 7, 2010

"I'm Driving What?"

My sister and her husband are gone this week on a trek with their Stake and so my mom is watching their six kids, ages 12 to 7 months. I am taking three days off work to help her out. Today was day one. My nine year old nephew wanted to do a service project at his Grandma Great's house (my grandma, who is 90) so we all had to pile in the car and drive the 15 minutes to her house. My mom took the two older boys in her car so they could go shopping afterwards. That meant I had to drive myself, my sister and the three younger kids in their huge suburban (the baby stayed at home with grandpa). Seeing as I have never driven a car that ginormous, I will admit that I was quite nervous about backing it out of the garage. Here is a humorous moment that took place:

I turned the car on and sat there.

5 year old nephew: You have to move that stick thing down to the middle so it will back up.

Me: What, this thing?

Nephew: Yes.

Me: Okay, thanks!

I continue to sit there.

12 year old nephew(from the other car): Camille, are you backing out first or are we?

Me: You are. I'm waiting for more room.

9 year old nephew (from the other car): Good luck!

5 year old nephew: Why are you waiting?

7 year old niece: Because she's scared to death.

{My sister and I burst out laughing.}

7 year old niece: It's okay. My mom still has trouble backing up. We hit the library once.

Me and my sister: You hit the library?

7 year old niece: Yeah, mom didn't have a lot of room to back up and couldn't see very well.

5 year old nephew: A lady had to pull out for us because she saw we hit the library.

Me: Did you hurt the car?

Both: No.

Me: Did you hurt the library?

Both: No!

Me: Well that's good I guess. I feel better now.

It took me about 30 seconds to pull out because I went so slow, but I eventually got it out of the garage and onto the road. A few seconds down the road my nephew asked,

Do you know how this car works?

Me: Um, is it moving?

Nephew: Yes.

Me: Well then, I guess I know enough.

I managed to get us all to Grandma Great's without hitting a single thing. That's a pretty successful trip if you ask me.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

LOL

Deidra said...

I recently got a new bigger car and it IS quite the adjustment! And it's nowhere near as big as a suburban!

I want to know what the service project was, that is so cute!

Cambu said...

Deidra, the service project was pulling all the weeds in Grandma Great's yard. It was for his Faith in God award. He asked to do it and only my mom helped him. He worked so hard and pulled so many weeds. What a great example he was to me of giving service to others. Sometimes kids really are the best teachers. :)

Ap said...

I am laughing for several reasons...first the thought of you driving a big vehicle for the first time. It is a little nerve racking.
Second because my niece and nephew ask me questions like that all the time when I take their car..."do you know how to drive this kind of car?" or "Do you know where you're going?"

Singinmame said...

hehehe. Good times. :)