September 2, 2010

Creating Something from Nothing...

Is it truly possible to create something from nothing? If I want to create a masterpiece on the piano can I do it from nothing? No. I need the piano. If I want to create a masterpiece on canvas can I do it from nothing? No. I need a canvas. And paint. Basically, I would need the materials necessary to create these masterpieces. That seems logical, right? Well, I'm not sure I completely follow this logic:

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

That's a quote by the physicist Stephen Hawking from his new book. So, let's see if I understand him... Oh, who am I kidding. I don't understand him. Do any of you understand him? I kind of feel like he's just running his mouth in circles. He says the universe can create itself from nothing but then in the next breath says spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing. What?

I really don't believe any of us can create something from nothing. So if we can't, then how could a universe create itself? Aren't we more intelligent than a bunch of stars and planets? And where did we even come from? Did we just appear out of thin air...from nothing? To me it just seems more logical that a higher power would be involved in this process.

But, that's just me.

I talked about this with a friend who tried to explain all these different theories to me. Even though I understood what he was saying, I still could not understand the concept. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. Isn't it easier to believe in something that does make sense? Take this explanation for instance.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on whether one puts more faith in man or in God. I believe in God. Therefore, I believe that God created all things - including man. And to me, that means God is way more intelligent than man. From that, I can only conclude that His explanation makes more sense.

But, that's just me. Again.

Anyway, I'm curious to know your thoughts! Do you believe the universe spontaneously created itself from nothing and that, therefore, is why we exist?* Sound off below!


*I can't even seem to pose the question in a way that makes sense. That's how confusing it is to me.

No comments: