Every day when I get on the train, I pull out a book to read. Today however, I became extremely distracted by a very loud woman who was literally yelling into her phone so as to be heard above the noise of the train. Within five minutes of this, I was completely unable to focus on the words I was trying to read and I felt myself becoming quite irritated. I finally decided to put the book away and pull out my MP3 player to see if I could drown out her noise with some music.
I put in my earbuds, pushed play, skipped the song that was nearly over, and this was the next song that started playing:
At first I just chuckled and silently said, "You've got to be kidding me". But as I began to listen, I noticed that I was trying extra hard to focus on the words of the song in order to block out the distracting voice next to me. When the song ended, I listened to it again. And again. And again. Before long I realized that even though I could still tell that she was yelling, her voice was muffled and all I could really hear were the words of this song. I also noticed the calm and peaceful change that was taking place inside me.
Two days ago I had made a promise to myself and to Heavenly Father (and in a way, to each of you as well) that I would try my best to be more kind and loving to those around me. This morning, I would have failed if not for Heavenly Father's gentle reminder to me of that promise.
"Love one another as Jesus loves you. Try to show kindness in all that you do. Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought. For these are the things Jesus taught."
I find no coincidence in the fact that this is the song that began playing when I put my earbuds in, and I will be forever grateful for it.
10 years ago
2 comments:
What a neat reminder!
hey aren't you gonna post about your Cali trip??
yes good thing that song came on to help you keep focused! Wasn't the Gen RS Broadcast good? I loved it!
Post a Comment