I usually try to take a walk during my morning break here at work. You know, just to get my lazy butt out of my chair and enjoy some sunshine and a little bit of fresh air. Well, due to my regular Thursday afternoon meeting being moved to the morning, I was unable to take my regular morning walk. Therefore, I decided to take it during lunch. Morning or afternoon, it probably doesn't matter much. I realized today that no matter what time I choose to go, I always pick the exact moment that classes are letting out and students begin to swarm the sidewalks. No matter where I go, I am completely bombarded by them on all sides of me. I don't like it. At all.
But I digress. On my walk this afternoon I made some observations. They might not be too surprising to those of you who know me well, but to the rest of you, you might think me a little callous or coldhearted. I promise I am not. I just get a little annoyed with people sometimes - especially when I am surrounded by them.
Observation #1: Smokers (maybe not all but the vast majority) are selfish people. They don't seem to care if there are 29 other people walking in near proximity to them (and by 'near proximity' I mean within 2 feet). All they seem to care about is getting their next nicotine fix, taking no consideration for anyone else around them. To the guy who decided to start puffing on his cigarette while walking amongst a throng of people, I would just like to say this: You better be glad I didn't shove that thing down your throat. Just because you feel like dying of lung cancer someday doesn't mean the rest of the world does too. Go smoke in your corner.
Observation #2: Bicyclists and skateboarders also appear to be selfish people. They don't seem to care if there are 30 other people walking in near proximity to them either. They just zip on by, nearly taking out anyone who is in their way. To the girl on the bicycle who felt she could just ride her way through the crowd and push us all out of the way, I would just like to say this: Back off. Just because you are on a bike doesn't give you the right of way. We are all trying to get to our next stop via this ridiculously narrow pathway, so you can inch along just like the rest of us. The next time you try to push me out of the way, I intend on pushing you completely over. Think on that.
Observation #3: There really are girls in this world who talk and act as if they belong in the movie Clueless. To the girl in the (what appeared to be) cheerleading outfit from high school, I just want to say this: I don't care if you do know some guy who is setting up a booth near the campus library. That doesn't mean you can just stop walking mid-stride to yell "Oh my gosh! I totally know you!!" to him in your high-spitched, squeaky voice that sounds like you drank one too many energy drinks, and not expect someone behind you to plow you over. Besides, the guy you were talking to wasn't impressed and neither were the other 31 people who heard. Remember you're in college now, not high school.
10 years ago
1 comment:
Oh, Camille. I miss you. I wish I could have heard your ranting in person.
Post a Comment