January 12, 2010

The Pound for Pound Challenge...

A few years ago I started watching the Biggest Loser. Then after a couple seasons I got bored with it and stopped. Last year my sister was always talking about the show and saying what an inspiration it was, so last season I decided to watch it again and it turns out, it really is quite an inspirational show. I found myself crying right along with the contestants as they realized that they can, in fact, change their lives.

As some of you may know, about 15 months ago I decided to create a healthier lifestyle for myself. I joined the Jillian Michaels online program where I was taught how to eat healthier (it even provided meals and recipes for someone such as myself who has NO IDEA how to cook healthy meals). I also started the fitness program. About five months later I had dropped 10 pounds. Ten pounds doesn't seem like a lot after five months, but to me, it was a great accomplishment. I was feeling great and, in my mind, I looked a lot better too.

Then something happened. I moved into a new place and all of a sudden I just lost all desire and motivation to keep going. I still had about 10 more pounds to go, but essentially, I gave up. I became much more social and started doing other things after work and therefore, working out became less of a priority. However, I did try to keep eating better and I think that is what ultimately helped me not gain back all ten pounds I had just lost. Instead I only gained back about five. Now I find myself once again wishing to lose a few extra pounds. I continue to watch The Biggest Loser on TV and I continue to feel inspired, but I also continue to lack the motivation to workout.

So this time around, in order to keep feeling inspired to do something, I decided I needed to set a different type of goal. But what? I've already made a goal to lose 10 pounds (now it's more like 15) but what is going to motivate me enough to keep at it? A trip to the Bahamas? Though that would be nice, I don't really care about the Bahamas. I can't think of anything I want badly enough to keep me motivated. So that got me thinking...why make this just about me? Why not make this about someone else?

As I was watching The Biggest Loser the other night, they talked about a challenge we could do that would help feed the hungry. I've heard them talk about this before but I never thought much about it. This time, however, I felt completely captivated by the TV screen and I thought to myself, "You mean that all I have to do is pledge to lose a certain amount of weight and these people will then donate that many pounds of food to a local food bank? I can do that!"

So today, I just signed up for The Biggest Loser Pound for Pound Challenge. I have pledged to lose 10 pounds and in return, the Utah Food Bank will get 10 pounds of food to help feed the hungry in my hometown. Doesn't that sound great? Of course, I have to do all the work and be the one to lose the 10 pounds but as I'm in my living room sweating to a Jillian Michael's DVD thinking I'd rather be dead, I'll know that it isn't only for myself I am doing this. I am doing this so someone else can eat.

I hope you will all join me on this journey.

4 comments:

Jen said...

This is such a great idea! Be sure to let us know how it turns out. I might have to give it a try myself...I can always lose a few pounds. :)

Tandy said...

You're awesome! See, I need someone to help motivate me physically!. As in, going to the gym with me. Help me actually do it. haha. That's my problem. My sister in law and I used to go to the gym together but she now has 4 kiddos and a neighbors has taken my place :( So I have to try to find my motivation again knowing I don't have someone to help push me that way :( But you really are awesome! I need to look this up! :)

Sarah said...

Good for you! I don't think I've reached that epiphany place yet, but i'm forcing myself to go to the gym since my husband bought me a membership. I'm starting to feel better but haven't really lost weight yet. I wish you luck on your journey.

Jo said...

This is a brilliant idea, good for you! From the pictures I've seen of you I really can't see why you want to lose 10 pounds, but I wish you well. I could really do with losing at least 10 pounds, but I have NO willpower. Something like this would be a great incentive.

Good luck! Be sure to keep us updated on your progress.