So ten days after Proposition 8 was passed by the voters of California, this country has seen protests from the west coast to the east coast; churches have been vandalized; businesses have been boycotted; people have been forced to resign from their jobs; and disturbing packages with white powder have shown up at two LDS Temples.
The LDS church has been unfairly targeted in each of these situations and though the members are beginning to get a little irritated, we have been counseled (as recently as one month ago) to "love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us". I hope each of us is doing just that.
We chose to follow God on this issue and people didn't like it. Many people will never like it. But we have the promise of God that if we stand firm in the face of adversity, we will be blessed. And I believe that even though we have been counseled to not "put up our dukes", Heavenly Father is not going to sit back and let these attacks against His people go unanswered. He might give us persecution to teach us patience and faith, but He will always have our backs.
10 years ago
6 comments:
Hear, hear! This is so ridiculously out of hand and hypocritical of the No on 8 crowd. I guess they don't actually believe in our right to vote unless we vote THEIR way. They decry our so-called "discrimination" out one side of their mouths while dishing out some pretty serious intolerance from the other.
(I'm so glad I found you!)
It just goes to show how hard Satan is working to bring the church down. Individual members of the curch may have donated money to the cause of Prop 8, but the church itself didn't. Also, the percentage of mormons in California compared to the percentage of PEOPLE that actually voted to pass it...negligible. One of these days people will wake up and realize how stupid they're being throwing blame around like that.
This is a subject that was on Focus on the Family several times before and after the election. Dr. Dobson had a minister on from CA before and after talking about all the work being done in CA to ensure a victory for Prop 8. Both before and after, he praised the LDS church for their support, both financially and physically, stating that many of those going door-to-door were local LDS members. And approximately half of the money raised for the fight in CA came from the LDS church....it was stated in a way that made it appear that the church made the donation.
Please know that the evangelical Christian community is being made aware of the attacks against our LDS friends and we, too, are being asked to pray for and support ya'll. I personally am very grateful for all the hard work that Californians, and LDS members, put forth to protect the sanctity of marriage—the way God designed it.
I get so frustrated to hear how we should cower to the demands of the liberals lest we offend them...what about the fact that we, the God-fearing folks of this nation, are offended by their demands and determination to permeate our lives with their lifestyles?
Ok, I'm stepping down off my soapbox and praying for ya'll! And yes, the Lord is ALWAYS in control....all that we endure must pass through Him before making its way to us...and if He brings us to it, He WILL bring us through it!
Hey Camille! I found your blog off of facebook. It's really great! See you at Thanksgiving next week.
Well at stake conferene yesterday my stake president talked about how there was a group of 50 ready to protest at our temple here! I only saw 3 people so perhaps I drove by before it got underway. He also said the members leaving the temple were offering them water, being friendly, and talking to them. One of the cars I did see near the 3 had huge decal of Orange Co Choppers on the rear window.
It's just plain scary.....
Post a Comment