Many of you probably know of my difficutly with working out and eating right. I guess you could say that I'm a pretty lazy person when it comes to these two things because when I get home from work each night I generally want to sit on my butt and do nothing. Cereal is my best friend. I'd eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could - mainly so I don't have to think about what to make.
Well, over the past five years I have (sadly) gained about 20 pounds. Every day I look at myself in the mirror and think "gosh, what has happened to you?" I wouldn't say that I am fat, but I am far from looking the way I would like to look. About a year ago I starting driving to my parent's twice a week so I could use their treadmill. I have absolutely no desire to buy a gym membership because 1) they're a total rip off and 2) I'd never use it because I find it slightly disturbing that other people can watch me workout. So, I thought using my parent's treadmill would be a great way for me to start into a better workout routine. It didn't help much because 1) I still wasn't eating right and 2) on the days I wasn't going to my parent's, I still wasn't workout out. I managed to maintain my weight over the year (fluctuating only 1-2 pounds), but I knew I needed something that would really push me to lose those few unwanted pounds.
Bring in Jillian Michaels.
Last month I got an email promoting Jillian Michaels workout DVDs. I knew Jillian from "The Biggest Loser" and knew her videos would probably kick my butt. So, I decided to buy the 5 DVD package for $19.95. Included with this was a one month free subscription to her online weight loss program. Seeing as it was free, I signed up.
It has now been 22 days since I have started this program and it has benefitted me in numerous ways. The first is that she plans out my meals for me every week! I have been eating so much better the last few weeks and I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel because of it. I've limited my sugar intake and have kept my meals to small portion sizes. And I have even been trying some new recipes (some of which made me gag but others which were delicious!)
I've also begun exercising for 45 minutes every night after work, following the workout plan she has also provided for me. I can tell a difference there as well and I feel SO much better after a nice hard workout. But the thing that is bothering me, is that I have only lost 2 pounds in 22 days! I feel like I am either doing something wrong or else I'm just building up so much muscle that the weight is deceiving. I'm not sure which is true.
I just have to say that her program has been just what I need for my personality because I don't have to think about what I want to eat or what exercises I should do. I can go home from work, look at my personal workout checklist and get to work. All the mental effort (other than doing the workout) is taken out of the equation. I love it!!
Now I have 7 days to figure out if I want to stay on her plan or cancel. We'll see how it goes!
10 years ago
4 comments:
Sadly, I have no idea what working out even is anymore - being busy with a baby will do that to you, I guess! But, as someone who used to train people, I can tell you to ignore the freakin scale! You will definitely be gaining muscle (which weighs more than fat), which helps you to burn the fat and tightens everything up. Pay attention to inches and clothes sizes. Be sure to drink a ton of water, too, since that helps your muscles to work more efficiently, making it possible to get rid of the "weight" once your body figures out how to flush the water through your system. Just be consistent, you're doing great!
Yes, keep it up. If nothing else you will feel great! Good work.
keep me posted. i need to be more consistent. when i'm tired all i want is sugar...bad, bad, bad! Working out yeah I need to get more consistent in that...hopefully sooner than later.
I am so proud of you!! I'm with Roz, ignore the scale!! If you feel better and your clothes fit better, that's what really matters. Jillian is one tough trainer, are you doing her Shred workout? That is a great one.
Post a Comment