May 17, 2010

No Coverage...

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this before or not, but for the past several months (8-9 months) I have been dealing with some issues with my inner ear: pain, pressure, stuffiness, etc. I finally went to the doctor in January and after three separate visits, three different medications and two additional phone calls, my doctor finally guessed decided that the problem wasn't actually my ear but rather a problem with my TM joint. Since his office doesn't "deal with jaws" (their words, not mine) he suggested I pay a visit to my dentist.

My sister has been dealing with TMJ for several years and she mentioned that not all insurance companies will cover TMJ problems. Therefore, I decided to read up on my insurance policy to see what exactly my plan covers. It turns out that the dental plan doesn't cover TMJ so if I visit the dentist, I'm on my own. I also looked over my medical plan and although I couldn't find any mention of TMJ coverage in there, I did find this:

Specific Limitations and Exclusions:
The Plan does not cover assistance in learning a new language, voice training, or therapy to reduce an accent.


I guess it's good to know that I shouldn't try and bill my health insurance if I ever decide to learn how to speak Chinese without sounding like an American. But unfortunately, that doesn't help me with my actual problem.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I remember you mentioning this problem before. I'm sorry to hear it hasn't cleared up.

I'm trying to imagine under what circumstances someone might think learning a new language would be covered by their health insurance. I'm struggling! The fact that it's listed means someone has tried to swing that. That's insane, but it provided great amusement for me. :)

I really hope you're able to get the problem sorted out. I'm no stranger to pain, but ear pain is the worst. Good luck!