September 15, 2009

What Am I Eating?

Last night my sister and I went to get haircuts. When we finished we decided to stop for a bite to eat at the nearby Carl's Jr. I don't eat at Carl's Jr. that often. The reason for this has always been because I can't stand their commercials. I mean who actually tries to sell food by making it look completely unappetizing? Oh, that's right. Carl's Jr.

Before last night, I could count the number of times I've eaten at Carl's Jr. on two fingers. Though perhaps slightly overpriced, I didn't feel either experience was horrible. But it's just not a place where I think to myself "I really want to eat there. I am craving Carl's Jr."

Nonetheless, my sister and I were hungry last night. It was 9:30pm and I didn't want a big greasy hamburger sitting in my stomach all night clogging my arteries. The closest place that had chicken strips (which I thought would be a little healthier) was Carl's Jr. So that's where we went.

In a word: disgusting.

That might will be the last time I ever eat chicken strips at Carl's Jr. I'm not even sure what I ate were chicken strips. I knew from the first bite that they were disgusting but not wanting to waste the food, I kept eating bite after bite. Something about them didn't taste right. While eating the first strip I chalked it up to the chicken being processed instead of real. But while eating the second one I was beginning to realize that it didn't really taste like chicken.

I turned to my sister and said "These don't really taste like chicken. They taste like...fish?" (note I said it like a question rather than a statement)

"Like fish?"

"I think so. I can't really tell but it tastes fishy to me."

I then stuck the last one up in her face and said, "Take a bite and tell me what you think"

She gave me a disgusted look and said, "Uh, I don't really want to."

"Just a tiny bite..."

So she took a tiny bite and chewed. As she did her face became slightly distorted.

"Does it taste like fish?" I asked.

"I can't really tell" she said. "But it's disgusting!"

I still have no idea what I ate for dinner last night but quite honestly, I'm not sure I want to know. My sister wondered if they fried the chicken strips in the same grease they used to make fish tacos. I honestly don't know.

But what I do know is that I now have a more valid reason as to why I don't want to eat at Carl's Jr.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. On this occasion maybe it's best you don't find out what you ate. You lived through it and that's the main thing. :)

Cammie said...

Oh that is gross! However, with no Carl's Jr. in sight out here...I have, on occasion, missed it. Yes, I will admit it. On the other hand, our fast food bill is WAY down with no Carl's Jr for Christian to eat at! Good and bad!

browneyedgirl said...

Perhaps you should ask that location's manager what was in there? Seriously odd, haven't eaten there but once in my life and well there are NONE in sight where I live.