December 3, 2008

"You Left Me A Message"...

My phone rang the other day and by the time I ran for it I had just missed the call. I noticed it was my sister who called so I called her back. Upon doing so, my nephew answered. This is how our conversation went:

Me: Hi. Did someone there just try to call me?
Nephew: Yes, I did.
Me: Oh, you did?
Nephew: Yes, but you left me a message.
Me: I left you a message?
Nephew: Yes.
Me: No I didn't.
Nephew: Yes you did.
Me: No, I didn't.
Nephew: Yes, you did.
Me: What did the message say?
Nephew: The exact same thing Derek's did when I called him.
Me: What?
Nephew: He left me a message to.
Me: I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't leave you a message.
Nephew: Yes you did.
Me: No, I really didn't.
Nephew: Let's just forget about this.

{pause conversation}

Here I would just like to point out that I really had no idea what he was talking about*. This may have been partly because I was sick and partly because I'm just not the brightest aunt in the world. But my sister and I really did get a kick out of the fact that it took an 8 year old to end the craziness of the conversation when his 31 year old aunt couldn't.

{continue conversation}

Nephew: I wondered if you'd be willing to play the piano at my baptism on Saturday.
Me: Oh, yes! I'd absolutely love to!
Nephew: Okay, you will need to play "Called to Serve" and "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ"
Me: Okay, are those the only two songs I need to play? (trying to figure out if I needed to play prelude, etc.)
Nephew: I only had to pick two.
Me: Okay, that's fine. I'd be happy to play those two.
Nephew: Okay, bye.

It was a conversation unlike many I've had with him in the past. But I was so excited that he called me and asked me to be a part of his baptism** considering that a month ago he told my sister and me that we weren't even invited!

*Later I found out that the "message" that I apparently left my nephew was actually my voice mail, which he got when he tried to call me the first time.

**My nephew came up with the program on his own without help from his parents. He wrote down everyone he wanted to be involved and what he wanted them to do and then called and asked if they would do it. What a kid!

3 comments:

Jake and Roz said...

I can totally relate. Hunter called Jake and left him a message the other day that went like this:

Hunter: Hi Hunter, this is... oh wait... um... Hi Dad, this is Hunter... um... just call me?

lol...

Deidra said...

What a cute boy! I am sure his baptism will be really neat!

Zack gets confused about voicemail messages too!

Valerie said...

That's pretty hilarious!