December 19, 2008

Christmas "Rare"ity...

My office went to Christopher's Seafood and Steakhouse for our Christmas party yesterday. I was excited to go because I can't afford to go to a place that nice on the amount of money I make in a year. But I was even more excited to go for the steak that I had ordered. All day long I was craving a juicy steak and when my food arrived at my table, my mouth was watering to near flood water stages.

But then I cut into my steak and saw this*:


My initial reaction was to freak out and say "This is disgusting! I cannot eat this. It is practically still alive!"

But then I remembered I was sitting next to my boss. Seeing as I have a very strong impression that my boss thinks I'm a bad attitude always looking for something to complain about (thanks to someone who will remain nameless), I didn't want to give him any reason to keep on believing that. I could have asked the waiter to take it back and bring me another one but I didn't want to seem like a pain**. Besides, I thought, people eat steak like this all the time. It can't be that bad, can it?

I may have mumbled a word or two to my co-worker next to me, but tried my hardest to keep my uncertainties about this steak from my boss. So, I grabbed my knife and fork and dove in. Surprisingly, the steak didn't taste that bad. Aside from the blood that was seeping all over my plate, it had pretty good flavor. But even though it wasn't too bad, about half way through it I had to stop eating. Every time I cut into that red piece of flesh I just kept thinking about the poor cow that got butchered so I could eat a nice lunch. Usually I'm not overly concerned about the fate of a cow, but yesterday was the exception.

Overall, it wasn't bad. More than anything I am proud of myself for eating something that I never in my life thought I would eat. But honestly, it was a very "rare" experience that I hope doesn't happen again.

*Not an actual photo of my steak.

**We were never asked how we wanted our steaks, they were just brought out to us. If I had been asked how I wanted my steak and they brought it out this way, I really would have asked for another one.

7 comments:

Deidra said...

Well, I am glad you tried it. Personally, I want to cry when people order a good piece of meat and ruin it by overcooking it. Baby steps! Next stop: sushi!

Jess said...

I like medium rare myself (but not too rare). And good job on trying it!

Jake and Roz said...

lol, I told you to send it back! The boss wouldn't have cared - he was in a good mood since I gave him my aspara-gross! I couldn't have eaten my steak that way, although I'm proud of you for trying it!

Valerie said...

I used to be with you, but I've learned that steak is more moist and flavorful not cooked all the way. I don't necessarially want blood, but pink is good!
I saw that picture and instantly my mouth went "oooooh that looks so good".

Cambu said...

I do like my steak to be a little pink, but my steak yesterday was red...not pink. It really didn't taste bad, but I still prefer it slightly more cooked.

browneyedgirl said...

They always ask....well weird they didn't!

Cammie said...

I am proud! I know how you are with food...that was a huge accomplishment! Why did you guys get to go somewhere so fancy?? One year we had to have the Christmas party in Sondra's basement.....lame!