The first thing I was reminded of was a show that I always used watch called "Circus of the Stars". It was only on once a year but I always remember looking forward to it. I always liked it better than "Barnum and Bailey's Circus" because this one had real celebrities. I loved to watch how they would rehearse and then perform what they learned. The trapeze and highwire were my favorite acts! The second thing I was reminded of last night was the 1984 Olympics. I don't remember every sport from that year, but I do vividly remember the men's gymnastics. I was a HUGE gymnastics enthusiast and I followed the men's gymnastics very closely. I do remember Mary Lou Retton from the women's team, but she didn't even compare to those men with huge muscles and gorgeous smiles. I was smitten with them. Yes, even at age 7. Looking back, I don't remember the entire team, but I do remember the three who stole my heart:

Bart Connor: When he and Nadia Commenici came to Utah for the 1996 Torch Relay, I got both their autographs. Nadia was a little distracted, but Bart was so nice! He was the one from the team that seemed to stay in the public spotlight over the years.
Peter Vidmar: I had the biggest crush on him! Though not as good looking as the others, he seemed more reserved and humble. He was the one that I cheered for the most.Mitch Gaylord: He was the best gymnast on the team and he even won a perfect 10! My sister had a poster of him hanging in her bedroom. I won't deny it, he was hot.
I remember the men's team won the overall team gold medal which was a huge victory. It had been many, many years since the men's gymnastics team had won gold. And no other US team has won the overall team gold since, which makes the 1984 team continue to stay in my heart as the best men's US gymnastics team EVER!
Anyway, last night I was reminded of all of this when a show came on called "Celebrity Circus". My first thought was "Oh, this should be fun, just like the old days!" Then when they were introducing the judges and announced the second judge as Mitch Gaylord, I gave a little shout and bounced on my bed saying "Oh my gosh! Yay! I love him!" just like I would have had I still been 7.
But overall, it was a disappointment. I don't like that the show is a series rather than just a 2 hour circus. I don't like that there are only seven performers and they are being judged on how well they do, nor do I like that they're being voted off. It just isn't like the "Circus of the Stars" that I loved so much. Something else was different as well. Mitch Gaylord is old now and not nearly as hot. My 30 year old heart didn't twitter over him like my 7 year old heart did.
But, it still brought back some fond memories of 1984.

No comments:
Post a Comment