April 14, 2008

Common Sayings With A Twist....

This list of common sayings has been floating around my inbox for awhile but I've never done anything with it. Recently I saw it on my friend's blog and her daughter's responses made me laugh so hard. So, I thought I would try it out on my own nieces. I sat three of my nieces down last night (ages 12, 9 and 3) and asked them to finish these sayings for me. The older two actually knew quite a few of them, but for the ones they didn't know, they all had great answers! So you know which kid answered each one, I will put their age in () at the end of each phrase.

The only thing we have to fear is.....Tigers (9)
What goes up.....doesn't go down (9)
A bird in the hand...is your friend (12)
Many hands make....many things (9)
Only the strong...can do the work (9)
Lightning never strikes....ME! (9)
Pitter patter of....rain (9)
Beggars can't be....Tall (3)
Waste not...want not (12, 9)
I'm so hungry I could....eat food (3)
Like a bat out of....air (9)
There's a sucker born...in my tummy (3)
Give me liberty or...nothing (3)
You say potayto, I say....Hi (9)
Money is the root of....the bank (12)
When in Rome....do you go home? (9)
Early to bed....tonight (3)
Beauty is....Belle (3)
He's treading on....his feet (12)
Practice makes...perfect (12,9)
Haste makes...toothpaste (12)
A chip off the old...man (3)
A penny saved is...a penny earned (12, 9)
When the cat's away...he's gone (3)
You can lead a horse to water but....he'll run away (9)
My love is like...a pigeon (9)
Ask not what your country can do for you, ask....what you can do for your country (12)
A watched pot...will not crack (12)/ will not boil (9)
Four score and seven years ago...came a horse (3)
Too many cooks...can make a book (9)
If at first you don't succeed...try, try again (12,9)
There's no place like....Disneyland! (3)
A chain is only as strong as...ME! (9)
Don't cry over...spilled milk (12)
A fool and his money are....annoying (12)
Two heads are better than...one (12,9)
A journey of a thousand miles...hurts your feet (12)
Look before you...cross (9)
Always a bridesmaid never...a bride (12)
Actions speak louder than....words (12)
It's like taking candy from....a store (9)
You can't teach an old dog...new tricks (9)
If you can't stand the heat...you can stand the cold (9)
When it rains it...pours (9)
If you love something...it's yours (9)
Half a loaf is better than...none (12)
Happy as a...tree (12)
The grass is always greener...on the other side (12) of the hill (9)
Tie goes to the...winners (9)
Make hay...your day (9)
Money doesn't grow on...trees (12,9)
Two wrongs...don't make a right (12,9)
Nip it in the...middle (9)
Laugh and the world....came (3)
A picture is worth...a hint (3)
April showers bring...nothing (3)
Where there's a will there's...a way (12,9)
Better late than...never (12,9)
You can't judge a book...by it's look (9)

Try this with your own kids...some of the things they come up with are a hoot!

1 comment:

Cammie said...

I agree! There is NO PLACE like Disneyland!!! Very great answers. It so fun (and funny) to see what they'll come up with.