For the last few days my thoughts have been focused quite a bit on the many men and women who serve in the military. I've been thinking about their service and their sacrifices and how difficult it must be for them to serve, especially during wartime. Call me a coward, but I really don't think I could do what they do. I do, however, have a great love and respect for the military and here are a few reasons why:
1 - Wisdom and Honor: To me, the military teaches principles that can be used in every day life no matter ones own circumstances. They have a way of turning boys into men. I understand that not all soldiers, airmen, etc. are honorable men. But most strive to live by the code they are taught while in the military, and they make excellent citizens when they return.
2 – Dedication and Courage: Most are extremely dedicated to the cause, whatever the cause may be. They are willing to lay down their life for their comrades and for those of us whose rights and freedoms they are fighting to protect. They don’t know me, but that isn’t stopping them from protecting and defending me. They know they have a job to do. It’s a job they signed up for, and they are going to get the job done, no matter the cost.
3 – Patriotism: I am a very patriotic person. I absolutely love to celebrate those national holidays that celebrate America. This is a great nation which, I believe, was founded by the hand of God. We are so blessed to be a part of this great nation and to have so many rights and freedoms. I truly believe that those who sign up for military service have great love and patriotism for this country as well. They understand how great this country is and they serve it proudly.
4 – The Uniforms: Okay, I admit, I have a weakness for a man in uniform. I can’t help it. My very favorite picture of my dad is a black and white photo of him in his army uniform. I could stare at the photo for hours. Not because he looks good in a uniform (which he does), but because of the uniform itself. The person wears a uniform with pride. Why? Not because of what he/she did while wearing it, but because of what it represents. It represents America; it represents our freedoms, our culture, our love of God and country; it represents ALL the men and women who fought to make this country what it is. I believe that if they respect the uniform, they not only respect themselves, but they respect the cause for which they are wearing it.
Overall, I just love the military. I don’t necessarily love war, but the military does so much more than fight wars. They help with relief efforts; they rescue people from disasters; they provide security for national events (such as the Olympics). They are who we can always call on and depend on no matter the situation. They know they are serving a cause greater than themselves and for that I give them my utmost love and respect.
So on this Veteran's Day I would like to give my thanks and pay my respects to all those men and women in uniform who do so much for us. They put up with a lot of crap in the political scheme of things but they continue to hold their heads high and wear their uniform with pride, dignity and honor. They continue to put their lives on the line for each of us, whether at home or abroad, with the understanding that they may come back tattered and torn, if they come back at all. That sacrifice alone should be worthy of every American's respect and admiration. To me they are Heroes. They deserve our respect. They deserve our thanks.
So regardless of what your political opinions may be, take the time to leave a comment and express your thanks to our Heroes!
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment