August 2, 2009

Making Changes...

I can't even remember how many times in the past 2-3 years I have exclaimed "I am DONE!" when it comes to attending a single's ward. For years I would become frustrated with the entire scene and then swear to everyone around me that I was through. It was time for me to move my life in another direction. But then I never would.

When I turned 31 I all of a sudden found myself faced with the hard reality that I no longer had a choice. I HAD to move on. And for some reason, I no longer wanted to. For me, it's so much easier to make that decision in my own time rather than having someone make it for me. And because of that I became stubborn and had a, "You can't tell me when to leave!" type of attitude. I did talk to my Bishop when I hit the ripe old age of 31 and he was kind enough to give me six more months in the ward. That would have put me out this past March.

And still I stayed. I'm glad I did because it was only the beginning of this year when I met some amazing people and ended up with awesome friends. That never would have happened if I left in October or March like I should have.

But recently - the past month to be exact - something inside me changed. It happened fast and was completely unexpected. I once again had that "I am done" feeling. But this time it was different. It wasn't because I was angry or frustrated with the single scene. Instead it was one of losing a sense of belonging. I love my ward. I love the people in my ward, I love my Bishopric. But for some reason I just no longer feel I belong there. The time has come for me to move on.

So today I went to my family ward. I loved it. Don't get me wrong, it's not without it's quirks. The people were interesting, testimony meeting was pretty bad, and some young mother even shed her blouse and breastfed her baby right there in sacrament meeting (though she did cover herself with a blanket). But as I sat there I pondered the question, "Is this right for me?" Am I honestly ready to give up the comfort of my single's ward and go to this bizarre family ward?

The answer was yes. Why? Because it feels right. There are several other single women my age in the ward, a lot of young newlyweds, young families, middle aged families and grandparents. It's the perfect blend of life. I loved the openness, the friendliness, the diversity the ward had to offer. Everybody was their own person. Nobody was trying to impress anyone else, or compete for another persons attention. There were no nasty glares from jealous girls, or awkward stares from psycho boys. It actually felt like church to me instead of social hour.

And so, in the next few weeks, I plan on making the transition from singles ward to family ward. I can't say it doesn't scare me or that I don't have some concerns about it. But it's the right thing for me to do and it's the right time for me to do it. All I can do now is trust that Heavenly Father will take care of me.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Change can be hard (at least for me). Luckily, we can do hard things. :)

Ap said...

I know just how you are feeling. BTW I don't know why there was all that craziness happing, it's usually a failry normal ward.