August 26, 2009

Coming Back Around...

Along with several other millions of Americans, I heard the news this morning that Senator Edward Kennedy died. This is not extremely surprising news. Senator Kennedy has been sick for a very long time and we all knew this day was going to come. I personally wouldn't say this is very tragic either. But then again, I'm not a Democrat.

I found it very interesting when I read about his death this morning to learn that a special election would be held to find his replacement. Unlike most states, Massachusetts apparently has some law that requires a special election to be held, rather than just having the Governor appoint someone to take his place. But what I found especially fascinating about this law is that it only came about in 2004 by Democrats wanting to make sure that the then Governor, Mitt Romney, wouldn't be able to appoint a fellow Republican to office when Senator John Kerry became a presidential candidate.

And it seems that days before his death, Senator Kennedy was asking for that law to be reversed so the now Governor, Deval Patrick, could appoint a fellow Democrat to office to give an added voice in support of Barak Obama. But it turns out the special election will go forward as required.

So, it looks as if their once ingenius plan is now coming back around to bite them in the butt. I'm secretly hoping that the people of Massachusetts will elect a republican to office, just to show the democrats that they can't simply change the law everytime they are in jeopardy of losing their power.

1 comment:

Jake and Roz said...

I find it even more ridiculous to see people memoralizing him as a great man when he killed someone (intentionally or not), got off with a slap on the wrist, and continued to hold public office because of his last name.