February 7, 2008

Mitt Quit!?!?!

I had heard Mitt was going to "make an announcement", but I refused to believe it until I heard it from him. So I just sat through his CPAC speech with my stomach in knots hoping and praying that those words would not come out of his mouth.

I kept saying "Please don't say it. Please don't say it" until finally, I heard this:

If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or (Barack) Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror. This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters ... many of you right here in this room ... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming president. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must now stand aside, for our party and for our country.


After those words came out of his mouth, my mind was abuzz with questions. How could he do this? Why won't he keep fighting? Doesn't he know he's the only person who can fix this country? I had to get control of my thoughts so I could figure out how I really felt.

Disappointed. Discouraged. Scared. Unsure. Angry?

No. One thing I was sure of was that I wasn't angry. Mitt had to have felt completely right about this decision in order to make it. Not that it was easy for him. But he had to know he was doing the right thing. And he did it with such grace and dignity. How could anyone be angry about that?

One thing I believe in, is that everything happens for a reason and we have to trust the timing of the events in our lives. Obviously Mitt's time to lead this country is not now. But that doesn't mean it won't happen. Who knows what could happen four years from now.

This leaves me with a dilemma though. Who to vote for. I don't like John McCain. I feel like he is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I don't see eye to eye with him on practically anything. And on top of that, I can't stand watching him speak. His voice and his mannerisms drive me crazy. His little boyish grin gets under my skin because I always feel like somewhere underneath that grin is a smirk that says "I can't believe they fell for it". I just don't trust him.

So what to do? I already know I won't vote for Hillary which means it looks like my choice is most likely going to be McCain or Obama. Either way, I'll basically be voting for a democrat. Now instead of getting to choose the best person for the job, I get to choose the lesser of the two evils.

Bothered. That's how I feel. I'm bothered that now I have to pick a new candidate when I already had the best one picked out! But it's not the end of the world. Life will go on, as will this election. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do now.

Perhaps I will start a "Write in Mitt" campaign. If I write in Mitt then at least I can feel good about voting.

1 comment:

Cammie said...

Before you vote for Obama, you should check his policy on abortion. I like everything he stands for, except his position on abortion.

So, do we vote on value or principle? Is it better to see eye to eye with a candidate's polictical ideologies, or with their value based ideologies?

That's the real question!