October 18, 2011

Ryan and Me: Chapter Sixteen

Editor's Note: Some of this story has already been told on my birthday post but I'm telling it again for context.

THE PROPOSAL

It happened on October 14, 2011. Ryan and I had just spent an amazing day together. We took the day off work and he took me to Tucanos for my birthday lunch. We both ate way too much food but that still didn't seem to stop us from eating more! After lunch we went to the temple then went and played a round of mini golf before running a few other errands. By the time we got back to his house it was 5pm and I was feeling rather yucky. My stomach has issues and it started to really act up (that's what I get for eating too much at lunch). I layed down with the heating pad to watch some TV and just relax and then a couple hours later Ryan came over and knelt down on the floor by me. He had this look on his face that looked like he was really worried about me and so I tried to tell him not to worry. I told him that my stomach just acts up sometimes and it's something I've been dealing with for several years. He just looked at me and said "I want to take care of you the rest of my life." And then he said,

"So, will you marry me?" and he popped open the ring box.

I was totally caught off guard. I glanced at the ring, then looked at him and said

"Are you really asking me this right now?"

"Yes" was his reply.

"Okay, then yes! I will marry you!"

It may not have been a Hollywood proposal, but truthfully, our life together has never been a fairy tale and because of that I never wanted the engagement to be either. I didn't want him to plan something super extravagant. I knew that if he did something out of the ordinary, I would know exactly what he was planning. The best way to catch me off guard was, in my opinion, to propose in our natural environment and that's exactly what he did.

Even though we had gone ring shopping together and I knew that at some point he planned to propose, I still didn't know when to expect it and I certainly wasn't expecting it that night while I was laying there feeling sick. It was such a surprise! And for me it was also the perfect way to start this new chapter in our lives.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

Yeah! Love it. That's so cute and exciting. And believe me i know about the stomach issues. Story of my life. Sorry about that. My mystic healer helped me. You should give him a try.

Jenny said...

It sounds perfect!!! Congratulations again. I'm so happy for you. I've LOVED reading about your relationship developing and can't wait to hear more as your lives continue to unfold.

Tandy said...

Has it really been so long?! Not only do I miss you a ton! But I apparently have missed a huge chapter in your life! Dating, now engaged!!! So happy for you! Would love to catch up in person soon if you're game :)

Cambu said...

Tandy! How have you been? I would love to get together and catch up sometime! Life is pretty crazy right now but let me know what you're schedule is like and we'll work something out! :)