November 19, 2011

Wedding Planning...

Well, it has definitely been one crazy month since I have gotten engaged. I don't think I actually realized just how much time and mental energy goes into planning a wedding. We are definitely making good progress but there is still so much to do! My apologies for not being the best blogger in the world. I just don't seem to have any spare time anymore and it will probably be this way for the next two months.

I just thought I'd throw out a few things I have learned over the past month and hopefully I can put them to good use during the next two months:

1) NEVER take prednisone while planning a wedding. I had some health issues in October that required me to go on prednisone for a couple of weeks. Upon weaning myself off this medication it completely screwed up my mental health. I have never been so emotional in my life. My poor family (and especially Ryan) had to put up with my crazy outbursts and mood swings. I was depressed and sobbing all the time! I secluded myself to my office at work and never spoke a word to anyone because I had no idea if I was going to start yelling or crying at the drop of a hat. It was one of the worst weeks of my life. As if wedding planning isn't stressful enough, try doing it while attempting to control emotions you have no control over. It is mentally and physically taxing.

2) Be willing to listen to advice from others but never forget that the decisions are yours! This is YOUR wedding, not anyone else's. Do what you want and it will all work out.

3) Have fun! This is going to be one of the most stressful events in your life but don't take it too seriously. Unless you are on prednisone and therefore are acting like a complete crazy person, you should be able to laugh and enjoy each moment of this adventure. Chances are you'll only marry once in your life so don't let these moments get lost in the frustration and stress.

4) Take time off from planning. There will be times when you'll probably feel completely overwhelmed. If this happens don't be afraid to take a night off from wedding planning. You and your fiance deserve a night where you can relax and enjoy each other without talking about the wedding. Trust me...it will seriously help your mental frame of mind and allow you time to regroup before throwing yourself right back in it.

I am extremely grateful to have such a wonderful mother who researches things and makes phone calls for me while I'm at work. I have no idea how I'd get any wedding stuff done if it weren't for her. She's amazing! I am also extremely grateful to have a fiance who is willing to take such a big part in the planning. He has been such a huge help through all of this and I am grateful he's been so patient and willing to help - especially through those few days I was completely unstable.

4 comments:

PBM&C said...

I am so sorry that it has been so crazy for you lately! You have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. I think that you have figured out some very key things that will definitely serve you well. The only piece of advice that I would give (because of my own experience) is don't go cheap or amateur on the photography! I so regret using an amateur photographer that lived down the street from my parents....what a waste! Anyway, I am still so super thrilled for you and Ryan and I know that you are going to have wonderful lives together! Please let me know if you need anything from me! Loves!

Eliza said...

AH! I totally know what you are going through (or went through). I had to switch seizure meds during planning and for probably the 1st year of our marriage and this new med caused some serious emotional instability. I'm so happy for you though and if he is the right one, which i'm sure he is, he will help you and stand by you no matter what. So happy and excited for you. Good luck!

Jo said...

It sounds like a crazy time, Camille, but so exciting! It's amazing how quickly our lives can change. This time last year could you ever have imagined that you would be planning your wedding? It's all so exciting and I couldn't be happier for you. :)

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.