September 22, 2011

Ryan and Me: Chapter Fourteen

From the time of Ryan's first discussion until his baptism, it was about three weeks . As I already mentioned, it wasn't always an easy three weeks but we got through it. I think one of his biggest concerns regarding his baptism was whether his family and his friends would be supportive. But even then, he never questioned his decision.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 was the day he picked to be baptized. His baptism was scheduled for 11:00am that morning. Everyone that was an important part of Ryan's life came out to support him, except for his dad. Though his dad did say he wouldn't stand in Ryan's way, he still felt he couldn't fully support his decision. But his sister and her family came as well as several of Ryan's closest friends. There were also people from his new branch there and people from my ward, along with some friends from work. In all there were about 60 people there that day. Seeing all those people there nearly brought tears to my eyes. Here Ryan had been worried he wouldn't have any support and now every seat in the room was taken. It was definitely a sight to behold. It was a special witness to me of just how special a person Ryan really is.

The service was very nice. Ryan was able to decide the program so he picked the speakers, the hymns, the prayers, etc. After he was baptized his Branch President asked him to stand and share his testimony, which he did. I can't recite his entire testimony, but the spirit was so strong. One thing that stood out to me was seeing how much faith he now had. It reminded me of that day he drove me home from work where he told me that he envied me for the faith I had because it was something he would never have. But now here he was, a short five months later, standing in front of all his friends and family, testifying of what he knew to be true. He was a completely different person and that moment was a testimony to me of just how much Heavenly Father really does love all His children and wants the best for them.

I don't know everything that Ryan was feeling that day, but I do know that he was full of peace and happiness. He knew he made the right decision and that his baptism was just the first step he would take in his new life. It has now been ten months since Ryan's baptism. Much has happened since then and I won't blog about all of it, but here is a summary of just a few important events in his life:

December 5, 2010: Ryan received the Aaronic Priesthood and was ordained a Priest.
March 20, 2011: Ryan received the Melchizedek Priesthood and was ordained an Elder
August 14, 2011: Ryan was called to be the 1st Counselor in the Elder's Quorum.

This calling wasn't his first. He started out as the Sacrament Coordinator, then became a Home Teaching District Leader before being called to be 1st counselor in the Elder's Quorum. I don't think either of us ever thought he'd hold three different callings within nine months of his baptism but it really wasn't a surprise to me. He is a natural leader; He sees what needs to be done and he gets it done. He also has one of the most willing hearts I have ever seen.

It has been an amazing ten months. I have absolutely loved watching his progress and seeing the person he is becoming. When I look at him now I can hardly see the person he used to be anymore. He has grown so much and (at the risk of sounding totally cliché) he makes me want to be better.


Ryan and me on his baptism day:

6 comments:

PBM&C said...

YAY! You made my day....so happy that there was a new chapter to read! Camille you look so gorgeous in the picture! Looking forward to the next installment!
Loves! Becky

Cammie said...

Wedding! Wedding! Wedding! That's me chanting as I read your post!

Jake and Roz said...

yay Ryan!

...and I've never been a spectator at a sealing, so I have to agree with Cammie :)

Jess said...

Wait? Are you engaged?! I am way behind here - catch me up! :)

You seriously do look great in that photo!

Cambu said...

Jess, I am not engaged. Everyone just wishes I was. :)

Thanks for the compliments on my picture. I think it is a pretty good one too. :)

Jenny said...

Katy and I have LOVED reading your blog in relation to all these posts. We were together today and we were talking about what awesome experiences you have had. Thank you so much for sharing!