December 15, 2010

Christmas Lights for Dummies

For all my faithful followers, you will most likely remember my last post about how I went out looking at Christmas lights and my friend and I determined that West Valley residents were the most drab. Well, we went out to West Valley again the other night and I must admit that I was wrong in my initial findings. Though not every house we drove by in West Valley was lit up, we definitely came across some real winners! I kindly asked my friend to pull out his camera and take some pictures!

Now, without further adieu, I'd like to share these pictures with you, along with three great tips on how to set up the worst best yard display ever!

Tip #1: Go big. In the grand scheme of things, the lights probably don't matter much. It's the number of inflatable displays on your front lawn that really draws the crowd! And if they stand a head or two taller than you, that's even better!



Tip #2: If you opt to use lights, more is better. They aren't just for rain gutters, windows, bushes and trees. They are best used as streamers! And be sure to place each strand out as far as you can! It draws attention away from any other house on the street.



Tip #3: Don't go at it alone! Make sure to get all your neighbors involved too! Light up the entire street with as much light as you can so it's possible to find the street without even looking for it. Besides, it makes paying that ridiculously large power bill that much easier! Just divide it by 10!

(Side note: These were just three of the houses on the same street. There were at least 10 or more.)



And there you have it! Your three tips to making your yard the most stunning yard in the entire Salt Lake valley! Make it count. If you're lucky, perhaps your house will be featured on my blog next year!

5 comments:

Jo said...

Camille, thank you so much for setting me straight. I had been wondering where I was going wrong and now I realise that I just didn't have enough inflatable characters in my front garden (actually, I don't have any). I also need to get some more lights on my house. I've put up a single string of white lights, but I need to get more so that I can wrap them around my entire house.

I'm a little concerned as to how the residents of pics 3 & 4 manage to leave their house each day! Maybe they don't! Maybe they are trapped in their homes by their own Christmas lights.

Thank you for educating me in Christmas house decoration etiquette. I'd be grateful if you could pop over and do the same for my neighbours. Their blue lights are driving me crazy!!! ;o)

Jess said...

Brad said regarding pics 3 & 4: "it's like living in a blanket fort!". Sounds pretty awesome to me - sign me up! :)

Ap said...

Why is it that I can't get you to go swimming at my parents house but you'll drive by and take pics of their lights? BTW that is nothing compared to what one of the neighbors used to do for Halloween. We're talking speakers mounted to the outside of the house and a cable strung to the roof across the street for the witch to fly from house to house.

Jake and Roz said...

that first house is right by my grandparents' house - it's the only one we make sure to look at every year :)

Cambu said...

Jo, you're definitely going to need more inflatable characters. It is absolutely imperative that you cram as many of them into your yard as possible so that there isn't one square inch of space left! If this is not done in such a manner, you will be the neighbor everyone hates.

April, driving by and taking a picture of your parents house does not require me to be seen in a bathing suit. In fact, it doesn't require me to be seen at all. Stalking your parents is much more fun than swimming with them. BTW I would really appreciate it if you could tell me exactly which of these houses is your parent's. I'd love to give them credit for their amazing Christmas decor!