1) Do they have influence over a lot of people?
2) Do they have significant financial resources relative to their peers?
3) Are they powerful in a multiple of spheres?
4) Do they actively wield their power?
According to those four factors, this list therefore contains names of individuals who use their power for good or evil (#57 is Osama Bin Laden and #60 is a drug trafficker in Mexico).
I found this quite interesting. Interesting because of the way the world defines "power". I haven't heard of most of the people on this list and those I have heard of, I hardly like (#2 Obama, #20 Hillary Clinton). Those who wrote this article are correct in that all of these people are powerful according to the four factors used. But this is exactly why I am turned off by them. Most of them seek power. They seek glory. All they are after is fame and fortune and some of them will do anything to get it. I am not saying all on the list are this way, but some of them are. Some really do use their power for good, like the Pope.
If anyone were to ask me who I consider to be the most "powerful" person on earth, I wouldn't have listed any of the 68 people in this article. I don't define "powerful" by the same standards that were used to create this list. The person I consider to be the most powerful person on earth doesn't make a lot of money. He doesn't seek after riches or glory. He didn't even seek after his current position. He does have influence over a lot of people but that influence is always for good and never for evil. And most importantly, I consider him to be the most powerful person in the world because he holds the most important power there is: the priesthood of God. And the best part is, he can't use this power for his own personal gain. He can only use it in the service of others. He has been called by God Himself, to be His chosen leader on this earth and to act on His behalf in all spiritual and temporal matters. His name will never appear on any list containing the world's most powerful leaders. But truthfully, he wouldn't want that anyway.
The man of whom I speak is Thomas S. Monson. His title is President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Prophet of God. He currently leads nearly 14 million people on this earth, teaching them how to be a more Christlike people, full of faith and charity. His power and influence can be felt in the lives of each, and it can also be felt in the lives of many others if they choose to listen. If any of you wish to learn more about this remarkable man, I highly recommend this book:

I just started reading this book the other night. It is amazing! You will not find a more genuine, loving and thoughtful person on the earth right now than this man. He truly is a man of God.
1 comment:
Great thoughts. Power is a relative term, isn't it? I will have to get my hands on this book!
Post a Comment