May 7, 2008

Saying Goodbye...

Three years ago I sold my black Honda Civic to my younger sister when I bought my new car (I, in turn, had purchased the Civic from my other sister). It had been giving my sister a few problems and so she was thinking about buying a new car. She also carpools to choir rehearsals twice a week with some men and women she wasn't sure would be able to gracefully slide into the back of her two door coupe. Therefore, it was time for her to car shop.

She called me Friday night and asked if I'd be willing to go with her. She said she found a car online she was interested in and she thought that it would fit her needs nicely. I think her exact words were, "I think this car could last me a long time and I don't plan on wrecking it". I laughed hysterically at her emphasis on the word "plan". If anyone knows my sister, she has a knack for wrecking cars. She actually refused to name the Civic because as she put it, "Every car I name ends up dead." First there was Dolores. She didn't die, but she certainly came close a few times and my parents finally got rid of her. Then there was Nellie. She was my sister's first car and after only a few months, she was killed in a tragic accident (she died the day my black civic was stolen). So when I sold the Civic to my sister, she refused to name it.

But I digress...

On Saturday we went to D. Dahle Mazda and she bought this darling Mazda 6:




It is a really cute car and I think she will be very happy with it. But at the same time, it was kind of hard for us to part with the civic.




This little black civic survived nearly 14 years of abuse/loving care by 3 single girls, a couple of minor accidents, being stolen (and recovered), and over 174,000 miles. It definitely had it's share of problems, but it always got us where we needed to go*. The salesman who sold my sister her new Mazda 6 said it best "This is not just a car, it is a family heirloom!"

Hopefully this car will find another owner who will love it as much as we did.

*Okay, so it nearly always got us where we needed to go. I'm choosing to ignore the time that the distributor went out on me in the middle of an intersection and I had to coast to a stop off the side of the road and then call a tow truck.


1 comment:

Cammie said...

Sad! I still can't believe it was stollen....and recovered. What an amazing car!